Lessons :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have a tip that you want to share? Put it here. 
Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: New interactive tab/staff tool: DVIICE - now with multiple keys/instruments
Posted by: TigerhawkT3 (70.231.143.---)
Date: September 08, 2013 04:59AM

I've not had the opportunity to test the Chrome/Safari version on Safari (only Chrome). Does it work properly?

I just don't know why the compatibility version isn't working on FF for you. confused smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: TigerhawkT3 (108.192.102.---)
Date: September 09, 2013 03:54AM

A help page is up (http://www.tigerhawkt3.com/dviice/help.html), linked from each version. As with any time I've made changes to files, I recommend refreshing the DVIICE with Ctrl+F5 at least once to make sure it's not using old, cached versions of anything.

I can't think of much else to change at this point. smiling smiley

Posted by: djlactose (Moderator)
Date: September 09, 2013 02:45PM

This is a wonderful tool. I would love to incorporate it into the website. I never liked the converter tool I had built on this site. I generally am not in this forum so I had not seen this till today.

I would suggest you put an ad on the page so you can make some money off the hits you are getting.

Date: September 09, 2013 08:15PM

Feel free to link it or mention it wherever - I made it to be used. smiling smiley

Posted by: gene (Moderator)
Date: September 10, 2013 04:44AM

I have the latest Firefox. I'm getting no sound. I don't really see the need for sound, but if it's supposed to be there...

Anyway, when can we download the latest version?

And yes, it is a wonderful tool, and not just for harmonica players.

Date: September 10, 2013 05:36AM

Okay, here's the deal.

If you've been trying it on FF and using Vista, Win 7, Win 8, or Android, FF is able to use the mp3 clips that are there for IE. But if you're using an OS other than one in that list, it can't use mp3s, and it's been unable to find the ogg clips I put there for it to use because I thought I could get away with not specifying the MIME type - and I could, for people with machines made this decade.

The reason I didn't find this bug until now is that I have Chrome on my computer, and only tried the compatibility version on FF on someone else's Win 7 computer that didn't have Chrome. I tried it on my machine just now (running Win XP), and the sounds didn't work. For some reason, my webhost isn't letting me specify MIME types at the directory level (or rather, it says it is, but then nothing happens - maybe it just needs time to propagate or something, but I'm in no mood for that), so I'm having to slightly redo 84 lines of code to add MIME types. This should make the DVIICE play sounds for users with older machines (or UNIX rigs, I guess) on Firefox (Apple machines are probably using Safari). Unfortunately, I'm going to be busy the rest of tonight, so I'll fix it tomorrow.

TL;DR: I found the problem and will fix it tomorrow. smiling smiley

Date: September 10, 2013 05:20PM

I fixed it, but I don't have access to my XP machine. Would someone using Firefox on an OS other than Vista, 7, 8, or Android test it, please? smiling smiley

Date: September 11, 2013 02:56AM

Glad to hear it! If you don't mind my asking, why don't you use Safari? I thought that was the browser of choice for Mac users.

Date: September 11, 2013 04:07AM

Yep! It works on my FF with XP. smiling smiley

Date: September 11, 2013 04:37AM

Cool, glad it's working for everyone now! smiling smiley

Could we keep this on-topic instead of turning it into a Mac/PC argument thread? smiling smiley

Date: September 12, 2013 01:35PM

But isn't a Mac a Personal Computer, also ? -- Sorry. Couldn't resist. winking smiley

So...where's the downloadable file of the latest version? I LOVE it!! But you should have come here and brought this thing... I mean DVIICE here with you a loooonnnng time ago. MAN, it would have helped me many times!

Date: September 12, 2013 07:29PM

If you mean a zip file for offline use, then no, I won't be providing one for V2. New instruments are loaded with jQuery/AJAX, which is a server-side technology not present on ordinary computers. If you run an offline version, from a local file, only the base functionality (C4 diatonic, piano, guitar, staff, with highlighting and audio) would work, but you get that in V1, which is already available as a zip file. The only way to get V2 functionality to work would be to upload it to a web server, which is where it already is in the first place.

Date: September 14, 2013 10:31AM

Take a look at this site:
[www.ehow.com]

Date: September 14, 2013 07:23PM

That's not why I won't be providing a zip file. I won't be providing a zip file because it literally won't work. You'd end up with the exact same functionality as already exists in V1, because you can't do a localhost AJAX call.

My site's .htaccess is already set to allow viewing of directory contents that lack an index anyway, so if someone really wanted to they could go to [tigerhawkt3.com], download everything, and put it on their own web server. The DVIICE uses very little bandwidth, and my web host is pretty reliable, so I don't see much need for a mirror.

Date: September 15, 2013 07:52AM

"That's not why I won't be providing a zip file."

I know. I understood that. I'm just thinking you've created something that may deserve copyright protection.

Date: September 15, 2013 09:38AM

Ah, my bad.

A lack of copy-protection is inherent to the web. Besides, the methods listed in that link seem to just be for installed programs. Short of embedding it in a Flash object filled with calls to external pages that find the needed assets in still other pages, or something like that, there's not much I can do to make it harder to copy. If someone really wants to copy all the files, strip all names and attributions from everything, put it on their site, and make ad revenue from it... I could send them a cease-and-desist letter, but if they ignore it, that's pretty much that.

These are my main goals with the DVIICE:

1. Convert between notes on the staff, guitar tabs, and harmonica tabs much more quickly.
2. Allow other musicians to do the same.
3. Use clear, easily-understood methods and coding to make it easier for me to work on in the future, and easier for interested visitors to learn how it works.
4. Keep the organization neat and simple, so that new instruments can be easily added.

Copy protections would interfere with goal 3 - and besides, I don't even know how that would be accomplished.

And I don't need a mirror, even to shave, because I use the Force. grinning smiley

Date: September 15, 2013 07:39PM

Acording to the little bit of stuff I've read, it's already copyrighted merely by the fact that you created it and published it. What you can do now is have it registered or sumthin' like that. That way, such a program would be easier for other developers to look up to see if such a thing already exists. (Fees vary widely...Shop around.)

I'm not sure if a copyright would interfere with any of those goals. I don't have any experience with copyrighting, but I do know that language used in a patent by an inventor could leave room for modifications of the product. ... Which brought to mind a question: Can a computer program be patented? Answer: I don't think so. At least not in this case. Click.

Date: September 15, 2013 09:57PM

New software methods can be patented. For example, the various patents on mp3 encoding (yes, that's patented) will finally peter out in around 2017. However, software is usually copyrighted instead, because copyrights last a lot longer.

Copyrighting the site (which, as you mentioned, happened as soon as I wrote it) doesn't interfere with my listed goals, as anyone can simply view the page source and download all the files from the directory. The web was intentionally set up to make it easy for people to see the code that other sites use, and maybe make use of some of it themselves. So, it's copyrighted, but it's very easy to copy.

Date: September 19, 2013 06:07PM

You should claim copyright on the page. Just do the normal copyright all rights reserved on the bottom. You technically don't have to but it makes it much easier if you ever need to claim a copyright violation.

Date: September 19, 2013 06:13PM

I have replaced the converter on the site with yours... "Tab Converter" is too long so I used just converter the way it has been.

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.