Lessons :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have a tip that you want to share? Put it here. 
Help, I'm being intimidated when trying to record.
Posted by: 56Belair (108.255.233.---)
Date: November 06, 2015 12:52AM

Let me say I have only been playing about 3 months or so. I have learned quite a few songs that I can play fairly well. I thought a good way to improve would be to record myself and then critique it on the playback. Problem is when I play I play ok, when I start to record, I may play a verse or so then I mess up. I start over again and eventually mess up again. I believe I'm being intimidated by trying to record myself. Have any of you had this same problem, and what did you do to correct it. I really look forward to hearing how you handle this problem. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Have a great evening.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help, I'm being intimidated when trying to record.
Posted by: Turkey_Man (172.73.233.---)
Date: November 08, 2015 12:04AM

I record myself on my phone all the time. I think it is the absolute best way to improve. Out of ten thousand takes, I've only not deleted two. I think we get hung up when we record because we want to hear perfection, but remember you're taping to get better. I've learned to ignore the mistake and play the song to completion. Then listen, that's how you learn. If by chance you hit it perfectly...share and be proud. If you don't hit it perfectly...delete it and get better. Hope this helps.

Posted by: 56Belair (108.255.233.---)
Date: November 08, 2015 03:21PM

Thanks Turkey_Man. I appreciate and value your comments. Man you guys got hosed on a bad call yesterday, we must have used up all the good luck available.
Have a good week my friend.

Posted by: Marcy (23.251.78.---)
Date: December 08, 2015 03:28AM

One way I've found to make recording myself less intimidating is to set the camera going and just practice. I only push "stop" when I get to the end of a take I want to hear. Then I push "record" again and play until I get another take I like. I keep at it until I have several takes to review. This way, you don't have to listen back through the whole session but can just go to the breaks in the recording and back up a minute or two. Like Turkey Man says, recording yourself is one of the fastest ways to improve, so don't give up on it.

Marcy
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: up_it_goes (172.68.54.---)
Date: January 13, 2017 04:56PM

I don't know a lot about recording harmonica, but I have been playing trumpet for about 6 years and when ever I record I try to focus on something in the room instead

Posted by: JerryVan (162.158.78.---)
Date: February 05, 2017 06:54PM

i would suggest 2 simple things.

1 Have basic editing software.

2 Growing accustomed to being in an environment with an open recording mike is much much easier than starting recording, perfecting time counting and then executing a perfect performance and remember not to cough or sniff before stopping recording.

I'd say one hour of open mike produces better sounds that can be found and snipped

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.