HarpTabs.com :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have ideas for the website? Like the way something works? Don't like something? Let us know here. 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
New Ranking System
Posted by: djlactose (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 02, 2004 06:09AM

How should the new ranking system work? I am thinking the rankings will be based on number of songs posted and number of forum posts. What does everyone think of that?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Ranking System
Posted by: Sukhoi (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: December 02, 2004 11:05AM

its up to you ,for my opinion dont look at forum posts its more work to add a song .
however harp on everybody !

Date: December 02, 2004 04:04PM

I was thinking that too plus it is much easier on me if I do it based solely on songs. The way the system would be setup would be a weighted system, you would get more points for posting a song then posting in the forum. That way even the people who aren't able to write there own tabs still can get credit for contributing in other ways. I was thinking maybe 5 points a song and 1 point a forum post.

Date: December 02, 2004 05:34PM

yes i agree i was thinking in the wrong way ,but true not everybody can tab a song it will be fair if you make it almost even between post and song adding .

regards Juergen

Date: December 03, 2004 08:40AM

I have attached a link to what the rankings will be once they go into effect. What do you all think about about it? [www.harptabs.com]

Date: December 03, 2004 08:57AM

I was also thinking about giving bonus points if the song you post is popular (this would work with the system I am working out to balance the popular song list) that way the people who post the most useful content will be recognized.

Date: December 03, 2004 10:38AM

looks good ! But i ts difficult to decide wich song is popular or not !

Or you mean how many views each song get ??
Than it will be okay .
keep in touch Juergen or better malotte (;o)

Date: December 03, 2004 07:14PM

That is was the other project I was working on. I was thinking about taking the number of views divided by the amount of time the song has been on the site to figure out the average daily views. Then use that number to display the most popular song. I am still working out the details of that, but that is what I am thinking so far.

Date: December 03, 2004 07:36PM

You know i´m really wondering ??? Just you and me talk about the ranking system ! Is here someone else ?????????

Date: December 03, 2004 11:04PM

Not too many members participate with the site, a lot of people just join so they can post their requests. Thats why I am doing the ranking system, to reward those who do participate.

Date: December 05, 2004 10:01PM

I have now added the point system. It currently is set that for every forum post you get 1 point, and for every song posted you get five points. I am starting to think that maybe for every forum post people should get two points that way it would take three posts to equal one song, instead of five. Also the point are only calculated only when the page [www.harptabs.com] is loaded. So you may not see the points change imediately after you post something. The reason it is done this way is not to slow down the loading any pages on the site because it could take a while for the points to be calculated. Right now I have it so that anyone can go to that page and it will update the stats. I figure it doesn't really matter if someone updates the stats. Now that we have a point system in place I can now work on what benifits comes with obtaining a higher level, and what level occurs at what point level. I was thinking about having someone go up a level for every 100 points they recieve. Does anyone have an ideas on what benifits someone should be able to recieve for obtaining new levels. There isn't too much complexity to this site so there isn't really that much that I can allow a user to do, other then boast about their level. Let me know what you all think.

Date: December 06, 2004 06:00PM

hi Nick ,
when i´m open the page [www.harptabs.com] i see only
"done running "thats it nothing else perhaps something is wrong ???

or thats the way like it is ??
okay harp on bye malotte

Date: December 06, 2004 06:26PM

I have changed that page to only show the changes to each user account. The point list can be seen by click on the largest contributors link, which will take you to this page [www.harptabs.com] The rank page is only going to be used by me (or anyone who visits it) to update the stats for everyone.

Date: December 08, 2004 08:15AM

I have now made all forum posts worth 2 points. I am still working on some incentives but I am thinking possibly an email account on the website to everyone who makes it to the top five or something like that.

Date: December 11, 2004 10:09AM

I was thinking about the bonus for having popular songs and what I am thinking is if I were to take the total number of views for all of the songs you have posted, and divide it by the number of songs you have posted to find out the average number of views per song and added that number to the point column it would be a good system for the bonus points. What do the rest of you think. Does that seem like a fair bonus for posting popular songs?

Date: December 12, 2004 10:21AM

With the new bonus for posting popular songs, I have had to really tweak the system. The way the new system works is the following (this may become complaicated lol)

For every song you post you get 20 points
For every forum post you will get 8 points
We will take all of the songs you post and add up the number of times they have been viewed, and then divide it by the total number of songs to find out the average number of views per song. That number is then divided by three and added to your point totals.

I wanted to add the bonus to encourage people to not only post songs, but post good songs that people would want. This system is a work in progress so I fully expect the system to continue to change in the future. If anyone has an ideas on how to improve it let me know.

Post Edited (12-12-04 06:36)

Posted by: forevergrunge (---.ties.k12.mn.us)
Date: December 15, 2004 10:59PM

I don't know what will the ranking do for you? I mean is there like a prize or something? I think it would be kinda cool. But I see popularity is judged on the number of views, then you could just veiw it yourself like a thousand times and it would seem popular.

Date: December 16, 2004 01:53AM

The system is not solely based on the number of views a song gets. You only get a third of the average views your song gets. You get a higher number of points for posting songs. I am planning on giving people levels based on your points but I have not gotten around to adding that feature. The other thing I was also thinking about doing possibly offering an email account to anyone who makes the top five or something like that. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.

Posted by: forevergrunge (---.ties.k12.mn.us)
Date: January 04, 2005 03:36PM

I was also thinking seniority could play a part in the ranking. I don't know if you can keep track of that but it would be kinda cool. The E-mail offering seems to be a good idea

Date: January 04, 2005 03:52PM

I can do something like that. The only thing I is by giving people bonuses for being a long time member they would be getting credit for not really doing anything. Maybe give still participating members an extra bonus for things they do.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.