HarpTabs.com :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have ideas for the website? Like the way something works? Don't like something? Let us know here. 
Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: New Ranking System
Posted by: Jamtharp (---.04-7-6f736411.cust.bredbandsbolaget.se)
Date: February 13, 2005 02:48AM

Well, I am still having my breaking in period, learning how this site works. and it amazes me how you can come up with so many ideas and how swiftly you correct and fix things....
So I give you my point of view of the ranking and what I think of it.
For me it is double rewarding. I enjoy watching my ranking...(But it doesn't mean I want to beat someone)...
Most of all I enjoy seeing the viewings of my contibutions...I will continue to share the tabs I make and get inspirations from you and the other members. May the happy Brotherhood of Harpers grow!
(but I will be having guests for the upcoming week, so I will be occupied with downhillskiing, crosscountryskiing and icefishing, and not so much harpplaying....CU later!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ORION (---.megared.net.mx)
Date: May 20, 2005 06:08AM

see i spend 10 minutes replying
but 3 days making the tab and 2 hours to uploded.
if you can´t make a tab, you dont have a harp or dont want to.
the thing is conribute

Posted by: pharpy (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 20, 2005 03:52PM

Rather blunt, but oh so true.

Most sites I've seen with ranking systems don't give out points just for existing. You have to contribute. I know GameFAQs worked that way (or at least it used to work that way).

I don't personally think that anyone should get points just for having an account that's been around for a while. I do think you should get more points for tabs than for forum posts, though. Maybe that's how you've got it now, I honestly haven't been paying sufficient attention to determine that. I've just been having fun trying to get my rank up to at least Contributor status.

Perhaps you might even deduct points for going for a long period of time (say 6-12 months) without contributing a tab or forum post.

ORION wrote:

>.... if you can´t make a tab, you dont have a harp or dont want to.
> the thing is conribute

Posted by: djlactose (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 20, 2005 04:35PM

pcguyiv wrote:

> Rather blunt, but oh so true.
>
> Most sites I've seen with ranking systems don't give out points
> just for existing. You have to contribute. I know GameFAQs
> worked that way (or at least it used to work that way).
>
> I don't personally think that anyone should get points just for
> having an account that's been around for a while. I do think
> you should get more points for tabs than for forum posts,
> though. Maybe that's how you've got it now, I honestly haven't
> been paying sufficient attention to determine that. I've just
> been having fun trying to get my rank up to at least
> Contributor status.
>
> Perhaps you might even deduct points for going for a long
> period of time (say 6-12 months) without contributing a tab or
> forum post.
>
>
> ORION wrote:
>
> >.... if you can´t make a tab, you dont have a harp or dont
> want to.
> > the thing is conribute
>

You do not get points by having an account. The system is setup so that you get 20 points for a song post and 8 points for a forum post. I also have it setup so that if your post songs are popular you will get bonus points. That is why you see someone norm at the top even though he posted just one song, his song is the second most popular song on the site. So when someone posts a song it takes time for their song bonues to build up. The more songs you post the higher your song bonues will be and the older your songs get the higher the bonus will get also.

Posted by: pharpy (---.sip.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 20, 2005 05:54PM

"Ahh! I see", said the blind man. I just hadn't been paying attention to how the points racked up, and that does answer the question of why someone with only 1 tab posted is in the top 10.

djlactose wrote:

> .... The system is setup so that you get 20 points for a song post and 8
> points for a forum post. I also have it setup so that if your post songs are
> popular you will get bonus points. That is why you see someone norm at
> the top even though he posted just one song, his song is the second most
> popular song on the site. ....

Posted by: rockondevman (---.101-200-24.mc.videotron.ca)
Date: May 24, 2005 06:27AM

I think the ranking system is fine it's true that you must contribute to a site to get rewards (whatever ia may be) but contributing to the site is not just posting tabs, i've learned a lot by reading the Forum and Ithink it's cool that you reward also the members who post on it.

Keep up the good work.

Date: May 24, 2005 02:47PM

Papajupi wrote:

> I think the ranking system is fine it's true that you must
> contribute to a site to get rewards (whatever ia may be) but
> contributing to the site is not just posting tabs, i've learned
> a lot by reading the Forum and Ithink it's cool that you reward
> also the members who post on it.
>
> Keep up the good work.

Thanks, I hope you continue to enjoy the site.

Posted by: aeharper (---.l1.c3.dsl.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 06, 2005 07:04PM

I didnt know about the ranking system until i read your post.
I think its great!

Posted by: dstaats (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: August 11, 2005 02:08PM

I'm not sure if I understand the "ranking system"... what are the "points" used for?

I'm not good enough to write my own music tabs yet, but I do enjoy reading & writing to the forum, whenever I get a chance. And, I sure appreciate those who do contribute to the song lists.

For Christmas, I'm asking for a Music Reading course, offered at my local college, so by next year, I'll hopefully be able to add to the song lists myself. (grin)))

~always Maria.

Date: August 11, 2005 02:56PM

Basically the Ranking System is a way to keep track of who the bigger contributors are, not just in volume, but in viewings.

The points are awarded for posts, both of tabs and comments in the forum. More points are handed out for tabs than for forum posts, which is understandable. Points are also awarded for how many times your tabs are viewed. This is why someone with only 1 tab posted can be in the top 10 contributors. They've posted a song that is in the top 10 viewed songs. At least this is what I've understood based on what Nick has said.

You are assigned a rank (Newbie through Heavy Contributor) based on how many points you have. I don't know the breakdown exactly, but I do know I've made it up to Heavy Contributor.

Ultimately, it's not that important, but it's fun to watch yourself climb up the ranks as you add tabs.

Date: August 11, 2005 08:19PM

You have the point system down. The main point of the system is to encourage people to post. I also wanted to reward people who posted good material over those who just post anything to move up the ranks.

Date: August 12, 2005 02:44PM

SOMEWHAT OFF TOPIC, but in response to a post on this list.

zephyrazure wrote:

> For Christmas, I'm asking for a Music Reading course, offered
> at my local college, so by next year, I'll hopefully be able to
> add to the song lists myself. (grin)))
>
> ~always Maria.
>

Don't let not being able to read music stop you from posting tabs. If you've got a tune you know how to play already, you can post it.

The majority of the tabs I've posted I've tabbed by ear. Admittedly I can read music to an extent, but not at playing speed, and most of the tabs I figure out on my own, are done by listening to a song over and over until I've got the note pattern down. I can only think of 3 songs I've posted (Memory, Turn Turn Turn, & Spanish Harlem) that I actually tabbed from the sheet music. I may miss a few notes here and there (go up when I should go down, etc.), but on the whole the tab comes out recognizeable.

All that to say, don't worry if you can't read music or read it well, you can still contribute tabs if you put your mind to it. Also, don't worry if the song is already on the board, especially if you have a slight variation of it that you prefer to the one(s) already posted. That's what I did with Amazing Grace.

Post Edited (08-12-05 11:49)

Posted by: dstaats (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: August 16, 2005 03:53PM

pcguyiv wrote: All that to say, don't worry if you can't read music or read it well, you can still contribute tabs if you put your mind to it. Also, don't worry if the song is already on the board, especially if you have a slight variation of it that you prefer to the one(s) already posted. That's what I did with Amazing Grace.

Thanx for the input Frank. I realize that many of the tabs are someone's interpetation, and that I like some interpetations better than others. In fact, as I'm starting to understand the tabs & my harmonicas better & play more, I'm beginning to add my own "spins" to the music which is alot of fun. (smile))

I'll keep working on it, and maybe I'll surprize us all. lol

~always Maria.

P.S.: I still intend to take that music reading class in January. (giggle))

Date: February 08, 2006 08:00PM

The Ranking system has been redone. Now people who post more songs will have a higher ranking. The number of views each song gets still contributes but only when you start to have higher amounts of tabs posted.

The old system figured out the average number of views your tabs got and then divided that number by three and added it to your points for a bonus.

Post Edited (02-08-06 16:04)

Posted by: pleuksar (---.nas4.gainesville1.fl.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 12, 2006 05:06AM

Hey Nick,

Is that why my rank changed? I was a little confused until I read this thread...

Date: February 12, 2006 05:14AM

Yes this is why everyone's rank changed.

Posted by: IndianaZephyr (12.153.207.---)
Date: February 12, 2006 06:44AM

I went from 60 to 20, I about had a cow when I saw that. lol. So I love the new ranking system!

C yall later!

Date: February 12, 2006 05:26PM

lol well some people went from very high to very low. Just an example look at Norm

Posted by: IndianaZephyr (12.153.207.---)
Date: February 12, 2006 06:44PM

Yeah I noticed that, I thought it was pretty funny because he hasn't been to the site in a couple of years and he was at #2.

Date: February 12, 2006 07:06PM

I know and it always bugged me but under the old rules he was up there fair and square.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.