General :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have something besides harmonicas on your mind? Talk about it here. 
Oklahoma Frontiersman Gunfighter State Champion
Posted by: Pulp (72.9.87.---)
Date: September 25, 2013 02:59PM

We pulled the covered wagon up to Red Castle Gun Club near Tulsa last Wed, and I shot in Ruckus in the Nations, that's the Oklahoma State Championship of Cowboy Action Shooting. Had a great time, my wife was feeling well the whole trip. She really enjoyed meeting new folks at the various after shooting functions.

Now before you think I'm bragging on my shooting skills, let me add, the feller that was beating me eight ways to Sunday dropped a loaded pistol on his 8th of 10 stages. That is a match DQ, so I took over first place. In the video, I shot this stage in 51 seconds. He probably shot it in around 35 seconds. He was faster and more accurate than me on every stage he shot, and probably deserves the award more than I do. But rules are rules. If I'd dropped a gun I would have been DQ'd too.

Anyway, this is me shooting stage 9. This was my best stage of the ten.

[www.youtube.com]

Caution: if you don't like guns, don't watch.

What's this got to do with harmonicas? I put a screw eye into a G harp and wore it around my neck like Charles Bronson in "Once Upon a Time in the West". I would play the little 4 note riff that Bronson was acting like he was playing before shooting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2013 03:58PM by Pulp.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Oklahoma Frontiersman Gunfighter State Champion
Posted by: gene (Moderator)
Date: September 25, 2013 07:44PM

Do you compete in fast draw?

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2013 07:49PM by gene.

Posted by: Pulp (141.129.1.---)
Date: September 27, 2013 03:19PM

Sorry for the slow response, was out of town again the last couple of days. Anyway, my name and the words "fast draw" in the same sentence would be an oxymoron! With my '51 Navy I can get lead on target in around 1 second. That's bringing it up to full aim. From the hip I doubt if I could ever get lead on target. These guys can do it in around .25 seconds.

Date: September 27, 2013 11:53PM

In a way, I guess you could call it a trick. It's not like they have to shoot a target that's in an unfamiliar position. The position of the target is always the same, so they practice aiming with body position, by feel. I forgot the percentage, but many of those shots are complete misses, therefore no score.

They use wax bullets and their guns are generally customized for fast draw by a gunsmith familiar with the sport. For those who don't know, when a light flashes, they draw and fire. The competion is as much reflex as it is aim and draw speed.

Date: September 29, 2013 01:16PM

Did you see Bob Mundon(RIP) on Stan Lee's Superhumans? Even at 72 years old he could still draw and fire in under .2 seconds. Then he broke two balloons about 6 feet apart, and it takes slow motion to hear both shots. I saw him fire three shots from a Colt Single Action Army in .11 seconds, but that was not fast drawing from the holster. He could fire a Single Action faster than a semi-auto can cycle.

If you're interested, go to: [www.jspublications.net]
and watch some of these guys and gals. They are just simply amazing.

Date: September 30, 2013 07:27AM

I saw somebody doing what you described. I don't know if it was Bob Mundon or whoever. I do remember being totally amazed by it, wondering how it's possible, wondering if it was a parlor trick. Those people must have some kind of a sixth sense er sumthin'!

Date: October 02, 2013 03:38AM

No tricks, just years and years of sending lead downrange. Plus some really good fast twitch muscles and reaction times.

I like to compare it to baseball. Basically, any major league ball player is capable of hitting a home run or two throughout the season. But how many have hit 60+ homeruns in a season? Then if you eliminate those that took performance enhancing drugs, I think the count is down to either 2 or 3. A few folks just have a bit better vision, eye hand coordination and reflex times than most of us.

Date: October 02, 2013 03:51AM

If all those gun slingers in the movies doing that showdown thing were real and shot like that, neither one would survive.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.