General :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have something besides harmonicas on your mind? Talk about it here. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Hobbies
Posted by: djlactose (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 08, 2005 05:27PM

Anyone have any interesting hobbies?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hobbies
Posted by: pharpy (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 09, 2005 03:20AM

Hobbies??? Other than harmonica??? Surely you jest!

Just kidding.

I'm somewhat of an amature numismatist and a computer technician.

Date: July 10, 2005 07:21AM

I am a computer tech and an outdoor lover. Although I am a professional Computer Tech so I guess it doesn't count as a hobby. I could tell you were very computer litterate from that email you sent when the site was down.

Posted by: Barbarian (---.clss.net)
Date: July 11, 2005 02:35AM

i enjoy bowling, camping (which i did last night), long walks on the beach, women in uniform, and sitting under stars. Sitting under the stars reminds me of the woman I love in Finland. Alas, she lies across the ocean. It rips my heart to pieces, and I long for the day that I can hold her in my arms again. I also like playing basketball at the Y.
-kg

Date: July 11, 2005 03:10AM

Barbarian wrote:

> i enjoy bowling, camping (which i did last night), long walks
> on the beach, women in uniform, and sitting under stars.
> Sitting under the stars reminds me of the woman I love in
> Finland. Alas, she lies across the ocean. It rips my heart to
> pieces, and I long for the day that I can hold her in my arms
> again. I also like playing basketball at the Y.
> -kg

Sounds like a personal ad LOL

Date: July 12, 2005 02:15AM

it is what it is
-kg

Posted by: bayan57 (200.48.114.---)
Date: July 12, 2005 08:15PM

I'm an amateur chainmailler, I write poetry, and of course play the harp

Posted by: aeharper (---.l4.c5.dsl.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 14, 2005 10:32PM

Hi,
I also play the Lambeg Drum.
But i like the harp more,its small,you can take it anywhere and play it anywhere!
You can't do that with a Lambeg!

Date: July 19, 2005 01:12AM

in an update concerning my Finnish Belle. I wrote her a letter expressing my undying love. It was probably the greatest letter ever. I also drew her a picture of a turtle flying over a pair of bears.
-kg

Posted by: dstaats (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: August 01, 2005 04:54AM

I'm coming in late to this thread, but I've enjoyed "getting caught up." I'm an artist, so everything I do has a creative 'bent.' (wink, grin))

I've very new to harmonicas. This is day 4. I don't think I stink, but the Kay Chicago Blues Harp I bought turned on me. hehehe But, I did a little research & now I have a Hohner S20 being UPSed to me that will hopefully arrive this week.

My hobbies are gardening, reading, computing, and ummmm, oh yeah, music! lol

Thanx for such a nice website.

~always Maria.

Date: August 01, 2005 04:11PM

Since I'm an artist, I didn't think painting, drawing, graphics, or the such, would count as hobbies. I also sew, and this year, I'm teaching myself to can (jams, jellies & applesauce). lol Oh, and I planted and am now harvesting Chamomile flowers to make teas. Is 'obsessive/compulsive' a hobby? (giggle))

Happy Harpin'

~always Maria.

Date: August 12, 2005 02:44AM

Maria- what kind of art do you do? I cant draw anything except really bad animals.
-kg

Date: August 16, 2005 03:13PM

hi Barbarian (Kurt),

I guess I can best be described as an Impressionalist, when I use colors. I was greatly influenced by greats like, Monet, Renoir, & Cezanne. My work is commonly compared to the artist Vincent Van Gogh. And like Van Gogh, I'd have to cut my ear off to get any attention! lol

I do an occasional portrait, but I prefer landscapes, especially w/ waterways because water is very reflective. I can hardly afford oils anymore, so I favor gouche (opague watercolor), colored pencils, & even crayolas.

I've sold a few peices of my art over the years, but it's nothing I push professionally anymore. When I draw or paint, it's mostly for me as an outlet.

That's why I took up the harmonica because I'm always looking for a positive outlet for my creative moods. Right now, I'm a total beginner, & it often feels like it's not coming easy for me. I don't think I'm a musical "natural." It's a challenge, & I have to work for it, but that IS THE POINT! (grin))) My husband is amazed that I can even pluck out a few licks that make sence. He plays a fair guitar & bass. But I don't think I'm all that good yet. I don't care if I'm ever "great" at the harmonica, but I'd be pleased to become proficient. (wink, grin)))

~always Maria.

Date: August 16, 2005 05:26PM

Do you have any of your work online so we can see? One of my customers is an artist and I do his websites. He paints a lot of murals mainly. [www.mastroart.com] and his religious art site is [www.heweeps.com] (I am still working on that one so it isn't finished yet).

Date: August 17, 2005 03:44PM

hey Nick,

Those arts websites are great. I fell out of the arts world right about the time computers were takin' over & so, no, I've never put my work together on a website. I have some of my stuff scanned and on scattered disks in my office & that's about it. (smile)))

Date: August 17, 2005 11:17PM

I would love to see some of it.

Date: August 17, 2005 11:58PM

(smile))) Tell you what Nick, I moved recently and am still in boxes, so finding them could be a hassle. But, I do have 1/2 a roll of film left on my 35mm & these days it's easy enough to get a CD with the hard copies. (grin))) I'll go around the house and snap a few shots of the paintings & drawings I got hanging on my walls. And, I promise to send you a viewing of the un-famious "Maria Van Gogh." (chuckling)))

It would be a good drill for me to catalog some of the art work, for I haven't done so in the last few years. (shagrin))) I did a colored drawing of my husband recently in colored pencils & water-color wash on charcoal paper that I love. I only do portraits of people I know well. It mostly comes from what I feel about the person & their personality dictates many of the colors I use. I have more fun doing landscapes though, it's the perfect spiritual therapy. lol Well, that and music. (wink)))

Hope you're having a good day. I'm off to make dinner.

~always Maria.

Date: August 18, 2005 04:11AM

I have a scanner which is just a plate of glass and I used to scan portraits into my computer for the website I handle. It was also dirt cheap lol. I think I paid 35 dollars for it and already using it I have made over 500 dollars.

Posted by: Barbarian (---.resnet.purdue.edu)
Date: August 26, 2005 08:25PM

so could you paint a portrait of me? i am told i am ruggedly handsome.
-kg

Date: August 26, 2005 11:00PM

(giggle))) I can dig ruggedly handsome. But, I only do portraits of people I know very well. (wink, grin)))

I recently joined yahoo groups which has a photo albums gallery area, so as soon as my life slows down a bit, I'll take some shots of my work & put them online. Kids go back to school right after Labor Day weekend, so I figure sometime then. (smile))

~always Maria.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.