HarpTabs.com :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have ideas for the website? Like the way something works? Don't like something? Let us know here. 
Song Names
Posted by: chibluesteve (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 17, 2006 03:21AM

There is a problem when two people tab the same song. We get a lot of interesting spellings and such.

A possible solution to this problem would be to add a sequence nunber to the end of the song title to make the whole name unique. On the screen the customer would just see the title without the number, but on the file the number would be there to make the title be unique and to display the song that was posted first display on the list first.

Then searches would work better and the first poster would have their version show up first.

Would this be a hard thing to code?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Song Names
Posted by: djlactose (---.sub-75-192-48.myvzw.com)
Date: November 17, 2006 06:11AM

it would be pain to work with and code. I right now have the database set to not allow duplicate song titles. I can easily remove that setting, I have it there to try and discourage duplicate postings.

Posted by: tomahawk59 (71.31.131.---)
Date: November 17, 2006 12:30PM

djlactose wrote:

> it would be pain to work with and code. I right now have the
> database set to not allow duplicate song titles. I can easily
> remove that setting, I have it there to try and discourage
> duplicate postings.
>

I can understand your point on duplicate postings, but sometimes a different tab of a song thats already posted is a better tab. So its kind of like being stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Posted by: Angus (---.gao.gov)
Date: November 17, 2006 01:38PM

You can do a duplicate posting, you just can't use the exact same song title, right Nick?

I'm guilty of posting "Alphabet Song" before I realized Nick had already posted under "the alphabet song" and I posted "The Itsy Bitsy Spider", which is an exact duplicate of "The Eencey Weencey Spider", which someone else already posted. In the former case, the lyrics are slightly different, and in the latter, the only difference is Itsy Bitsy vs. Eencey Weencey. It's rare that I've seen two identical tabs for a song, so I'm OK with having multiple versions appear. There's a good diatonic version of Yesterday on this site that is posted as "Yesturday"--curious as to whether you came across that one before you tabbed the chromatic version, Steve?

Somewhat related: Someone requested "Can Can" on the requests page; I posted "Can-can" without realizing it had been requested, so the request is still there, but the song has actually been tabbed. Anything we can do about this type of thing? I like how people "cheat" on the request page by putting a # in front of their request so that it appears at the top of the list.

Posted by: chibluesteve (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2006 04:23AM

There are 3 diatonic versions of Yesterday on this site.

I posted the Chromatic version because I thought it was a good version. I did not have a problem with there being 3 diatonic versions.

I have a couple of tabs I have not posted because they were too close to versions already posted. I will post a tab that I think is different from already posted tab.

Naming the tab correctly is the only real problem

Posted by: chibluesteve (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2006 05:00AM

Nick

I would not turn off the duplicate name logic without warning the poster that the name already exists just in case they did not know it already.

Posting a different version for a good reason is OK by me. Doing it by accident is a problem.

Posted by: chibluesteve (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2006 05:01AM

Nick

I would not turn off the duplicate name logic without warning the poster that the name already exists just in case they did not know it already.

Posting a different version for a good reason is OK by me. Doing it by accident is a problem.

Posted by: djlactose (---.sub-75-192-166.myvzw.com)
Date: November 18, 2006 08:44PM

I could write some coding to do a check before the submit is finished but that would take some time and would only be as good as the request page as far as accuracy.

Posted by: macg1 (---.eastlink.ca)
Date: January 22, 2007 04:30PM

Somebody who places "#" the number sign in front of the title on the
request list; is probably someone who needs the song as fast as possible.
I know that checking the list from time to time, it's a pretty lenghty list,
and some of those songs stay on there a long time.
I guess nobody sees the ones near the bottom.

One or two tabs I requested are probably still on there from over a year
ago; and I can't withdraw my request without adding the tab.

If this doesn't make things complicated, we could have links across the
main page from A to Z, for the artist names. Next, you would click on
the artist name, and there would be a list of their songs that we have.

Also, on the artist page, there would be two links: One for "Request A
Tab", and one for "Add A Tab"; for this artist.

Posted by: djlactose (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 23, 2007 02:26AM

That would require a redesign of the entire site, but I kind of like the way it sounds. I am working on a secret project now which will help this situation though. So lets see how that goes first.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.