HarpTabs.com :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have ideas for the website? Like the way something works? Don't like something? Let us know here. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Home page??
Posted by: Pulp (54.82.80.---)
Date: March 20, 2014 02:09AM

Either my computer is messed up, or the homepage is drastically different. Anyone else? None of the most recent or most popular stuff opens with the home page.

Options: ReplyQuote
New Homepage???
Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (54.81.155.---)
Date: March 19, 2014 03:18PM

It took a looooooooooooooooooooooong time to load, but when it finally did, the Homepage is totally different. There are no boxes for the "Today's 10 Most Popular Songs", or "10 Newest Songs", (although they're still there, just in a different font and not in a box) etc.. The links to the Forum, My Drafts, Login, etc. are on the right hand side instead of the left hand side of the page and in tiny size. Plus there are all these advertising bubbles (hover the pointer over a double-underlined word or group of words and an advertising bubble pops up).

Nick, is this supposed to be happening?

(The Forums, on the other hand, appear just as they always have. Everything's in the right place, same font, same size, all the links still work...).

Edited to add: Also, it takes forever for Member's pages to load. When the page finally does load, in order to look at the list of tabs that member has contributed (or perhaps "Favorited" if the list is long enough?), if the list is long enough it's broken into pages... sad smiley thumbs down For example, my main page does list all my Favorites, but only lists the first (alphabetically speaking) 29 of the tabs I've done. When I go to "page 2" of my member page, the whole intro and all my Favorites are still there, and only tabs #30 through #59 are listed. angry smiley thumbs down That setup (with only 30 contributed tabs per page) makes it a hassle, and very time consuming, to view ALL of what someone has contributed to the site. (Yes, I do look at all those when I view someone's Member page!)

Plus, some of those double underlined word/words appear to be important links, such as the "Login" link on every tab used to "rank" that tab. Granted, I know that particular Login link probably isn't used much, but still, not a good place for an advertising bubble/link.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2014 03:44PM by EarthDogHarpin.

Re: New Homepage???
Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (54.81.69.---)
Date: March 19, 2014 04:06PM

I logged in to the main site. Getting my bearings.... Lookes like all the drop-down catagories going across the top work. Did find a glitch, though... When logged in, the list of different types of harps for "Today's 10 Most Popular Songs" is just a long vertical line of single letters! I tried to copy and paste it here, but upon pasting, it looked just fine! So, in short, it looks like:

(symbol for Diatonic)
=
D
i
a
t
o
n
i
c
(symbol for Chromatic)
=
C
h
r
o
m
a
t
i
c
(symbol for Tremelo)
=
T
r
e
m
e
l
o
etc....

It only looks that way when I'm signed in, though. When I'm NOT logged in it appears normal like it should.

Also, the list of "Today's 10 Most Popular Songs" on the Homepage does not match up with the list of "Today's 10 Most Popular Songs" if one goes to "Show more" page. WTH??? confused smileyconfused smiley

Posted by: harmusman (54.220.185.---)
Date: March 19, 2014 04:19PM

I've just arrived at this new, new, site, or is it? Takes some getting used to. Have clicked the tab for FORUM and find this prints up as it always did, so feel quite comfortable with this.

Anything else is in plain black with no trimmings and who is VICEROY ? *** our new/another sponsor?

***Sorry I mean Viking, Can't get out of Forum very easily doesn't happen on some pages and takes a long time on another which took me back to the plain black only print or is this just taking a long time to download completely.

Sorry but I am moving on, haven't got time to waste in this double click world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2014 04:27PM by harmusman.

Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (54.204.128.---)
Date: March 19, 2014 04:25PM

Thanks, Cliff. At least now I know it's not just me!

Does it seem to take FOREVER for any page to load for you? What used to load in less than 3 seconds max, is now taking anywhere from a minute-and-a-half to three minutes. Ick&Bummer.

Posted by: harmusman (54.73.47.---)
Date: March 19, 2014 04:29PM

Yes Debs, I have edited my earlier comment and give you an answer there.

Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (54.197.77.---)
Date: March 19, 2014 10:07PM

Thanks thumbs up

Posted by: yukon (54.81.201.---)
Date: March 20, 2014 07:51AM

Deb and Cliff, I was seeing everything as normal when I got on the site, so I tried logging in and everything still stays the same, I viewed my own profile (which came up quickly and looks fine, all 600+ tabs on one page) and then went back to the homepage and everything still looks and acts fine (with the exception that when going back to the homepage it took a couple seconds longer than normal, but not minutes) so hopefully it was a glitch that is corrected now.

Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (54.82.84.---)
Date: March 20, 2014 01:48PM

Thank you, Scott, for the feedback. Interesting that everything still appears the same for you, yet not for Cliff or me. (Other members please feel free to chime in and let us know what you're seeing.) This morning the HarpTabs Homepage is still appears to be "Advertising Central" (for me). After reading your post, I went to your member page, and there's a HUGE advertisement in the middle of your "Tabs I have Posted" section, plus it's broken into 21 different pages. Most definitely a "Resolve the Odd" situation...

The HarpTabs Homepage appears to be a "screen shot" in that nothing has changed from yesterday. Same songs, same numbers, not "Live" or "real-time" as it used to be....

Have reached out to Nick to let him know what's going on. Hopefully we'll hear back from him soon....

Posted by: djlactose (Moderator)
Date: March 20, 2014 02:38PM

This is a new service I am trying out, they dynamically redesign the site on the fly. It is supposed to increase user interaction and ad revenue and was free to try. They have several different versions of the site which they are showing to small samplings of the visitors to gauge how well it is working. I personally have not gotten a new display so I have only seen a screenshot of the homepage.

Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (50.16.96.---)
Date: March 20, 2014 02:42PM

Just heard back from Webmaster Nick. He's trying out a new service for the site. The new service providers have redesigned the site on the fly and are only showing the new designs to a certain percentage of users. That explains why Cliff and I are seeing something totally different than what Scott sees. Webmaster Nick explained that the new designs are supposed to improve usability while at the same time boosting ad revenue. There are multiple layouts which are all being tested at the same time to see which one provides the best return.

So, that "Resolves the Odd". For those members who may be seeing a different layout than what Scott, or Cliff and I are seeing, please post and let Nick know what you think of the layout you're seeing.

For what it's worth, I prefer the old layout. It loads faster, and member's pages are all just one page instead of twenty, or thirty, or more pages. Plus there were no HUGE advertisements in the middle of song lists, AND and the "Todays 10 Most Popular Songs" was updated in real-time.

Re: Home page??
Posted by: GeorgeIII (54.193.196.---)
Date: March 20, 2014 03:24PM

I wasn't sure if it was my 'puter - or me - but the home page has been "strange" looking for several days now. The Links that used to be on the left side of the page are now on the opposite side (the text is very small) there are no borders around anything, and my login "username" is a different (wrong) one each time.

GeorgeIII

Posted by: yukon (23.23.8.---)
Date: March 20, 2014 04:29PM

Well from what I am hearing (reading), I am very grateful that I am stuck with the old version and I hope it stays that way for me.

Date: March 20, 2014 04:33PM

I have contacted the service to see if that can fix this issues.

Posted by: ,,, (54.198.103.---)
Date: March 20, 2014 06:49PM

oh NOW this thread shows up when I'm logged in -.- You'll understand what that means in a week when the post I created gets approved.

So, my homepage looks the same as always when I'm logged out. not the sleekest, most professional looking thing in the world, but hey, it's functional.

When I'm logged in, I still have the same sidebar (only it's on the right and I have to scroll down), and instead of that highly useful "latest tabs" section and all the others, there's just a bunch of ads. Nothing else.

Then, a portal very slowly begins to open in my monitor. I can only describe the color as "neon black," with lightning flashing soundlessly inside of it while a very loud humming noise fills the room, until my eardrums feel like they're about to burst. Slowly, but with a definite intention, tentacles begin to slither out of this newly formed void, coming at me with no hesitation, despite the slow pace. I made a run for it after that, and for the next ten minutes I got repeated phone calls from my great grandmother who died two years ago.

Overall experience: 7 out of 10, but would not purchase. Luckily I only sign in to post crap anyway, so whatevs.

Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (54.81.29.---)
Date: March 20, 2014 08:42PM

Sounds like you have a similar type page as to what I'm seeing. The sidebar is indeed on the opposite side and in very small type. In your view of the "latest tabs" section of your page you said there's just a bunch of adds.... On my page, a screenshot (but with functional links) of the Top 10 Songs (which is not up to date) is there, but one can only see the first two songs and then there's this HUGE advertisement in the middle breaking everything up. BUT, if one spends the time on the site to scroll down, there's the rest of the "Top 10 Songs" (again, still not up to date eye rolling smiley ).

Have you checked any of the songs you've posted? There are several of mine that have the longer lines chopped off before the end and there's no way to scroll over to see the rest of the line. It's just gone. Not real happy with that....

They have tweeked something, though. The homepage loads in less than a minute now. But it took a full minute plus a little for it to load your member's page.

Posted by: ,,, (54.198.55.---)
Date: March 20, 2014 09:20PM

I see what you see now-- the lists are there again, a bit more pleasing to the eye but a little less readable, and with giant arbitrary adds in the middle of them.

I checked my last 5 tabs and see no problem with them except one had two versions of a song with a dividing bar between them

------------------------------

^One of those things that become a solid bar in MS Word. Anyway, that bar's no longer there.

There might be more issues to find if I look through more tabs, but I want to log back out. This time bunnies are hopping out of the portal. Not cute ones, either. I mean, the Monty Python kind.

Date: March 20, 2014 09:29PM

I have talked to the service provider there are about 50 different versions of the site out there right now, some of them are already popular but others are not. While this process is taking place it looks like things might be a little bumpy but they have believe it should level out soon. Looking at the stats of the different versions some of them have had a 400% increase in ad revenue but it doesn't tell you anything about visitor experience or let you view the page content. I think if this service works it could be amazing but the jury is still out.

Posted by: Pulp (54.197.57.---)
Date: March 22, 2014 03:12AM

I just got a new surprise. I hit the log-in button and a new page pops up that says, "Welcome, gene." Don't worry, I won't e-mail the president under gene's name though!

Posted by: GeorgeIII (50.18.245.---)
Date: March 22, 2014 11:56PM

...this afternoon I'm "bignev", this morning I was someone else!

...good job I quit drinkin'...smileys with beer

GeorgeIII

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.