HarpTabs.com :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have ideas for the website? Like the way something works? Don't like something? Let us know here. 
Browser inconsistencies in tab layouts
Posted by: ,,, (24.209.131.---)
Date: March 13, 2013 09:25PM

Here's a shot of how my tab looks in IE:

And here's how it looks with Chrome:

The layout changes and it looks kinda messed up with Chrome. Not sure if you can really do anything about that or not, I just hate for people to assume I was sloppy if the problem is the browser. I don't recall this happening before (I always post in IE but do everything else with chrome), so I probably would've noticed if this were a persistent issue.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Browser inconsistencies in tab layouts
Posted by: gene (Moderator)
Date: March 14, 2013 01:28AM

Did you type your tab on your word processor using Courier New font (That's important.), then copy/paste it to the site?

Did you turn off the Advanced Editor (or whatever it's called)?

The advanced editor is notorious for messing tabs up.

Posted by: ,,, (24.209.131.---)
Date: March 14, 2013 02:04AM

The tab is fine in IE though. I don't know why using the advanced editor would create something that looks fine for one browser and not another after the tab has been posted. I know the browser affects how the tab looks depending on which browser you use while posting (which is why I always post in IE-- when I try to post in Chrome it ends up as mangled as that last sentence was), but I don't know why, after it's posted, it looks perfectly fine in one and not another.

And again, it's not usually a problem. typically my process is:

step 1, post in IE.
Step 2, look at it in IE and make sure it looks right, adjust it if it doesn't.
step 3, favorite it with Chrome.

So I always see how it looks in chrome and IE, and this is the first time there's been a difference.

I tried experimenting with the advanced editor on/off and different fonts, but all of them just messed the format up to the point where it just felt like too much work to try to put it together just to compare browsers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2013 02:05AM by ,,,.

Posted by: djlactose (Moderator)
Date: March 14, 2013 01:17PM

You need to use a monospace font to prevent that... that is why everything by default is in courier.

Also you can change the zoom levels in browsers which screw up that stuff and each browser has their own unique way of displaying content. This is a very common issue when doing web design. You literally need to open the page in every browser and at every popular screen size as well to view how it will appear to people.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.