HarpTabs.com :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have ideas for the website? Like the way something works? Don't like something? Let us know here. 
Staying Logged In to the Forum
Posted by: gene (Moderator)
Date: September 04, 2012 01:15AM

Nick,
Can you fix it so We don't have to keep logging in to the forum every time we leave the page we're on? It's a real pain...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Staying Logged In to the Forum
Posted by: gatman (98.160.231.---)
Date: September 04, 2012 02:43AM

No!!!! No logging out for you!! come back two years!

Date: September 04, 2012 03:06AM

I don't wanna log out. I wanna stay logged in. Even if I refresh the page, I have to log in again.

Date: September 04, 2012 01:44PM

I haven't had any problems like that.

Date: September 04, 2012 02:43PM

Well, that's odd. I thought it was because there's no "Keep me logged in" button. I don't have one. Does everybody else? Is it discrimination against chimps? How many other chimps are on this forum without the "Keep me logged in" button?

Posted by: djlactose (Moderator)
Date: September 04, 2012 03:31PM

It has to do with how your browser handles cookies. The authentication system in the forum is kind of lousy.

Date: September 04, 2012 09:22PM

I have IE Explorer and Iron. They are both set to save cookies.

Posted by: djlactose (Moderator)
Date: September 05, 2012 01:28PM

It isn't the saving that is most likely the problem it is the way it is load through a frame and there is a different authentication system on the site as well. It used to be that this forum (the old version) used the same type of authentication as the site so it didn't confuse browsers, but the new one is using cookie authentication and the site is using basic authentication so many browsers don't play well with sites that have multiple different types of authentication.

Date: September 05, 2012 02:08PM

There you go Gene. Your cookies aren't authentic. You should toss them.

Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (76.251.178.---)
Date: September 05, 2012 03:52PM

LOL! Well, don't toss your cookies yet, Gene!

You're not the only one who has to log back in. Whenever I leave the forum and go someplace else using the same tab, then come back to the site a few minutes later, I do have to log back in. BUT, if I leave the forum tab open, and open up another tab to do whatever, I don't have to log back in. I'm guessing this is because the "forum tab" is still open (granted, I haven't tried it after several hours of idle time, so I could be wrong...).

This isn't the case for the main site. I can log in, close the tab but leave the browser going, come back to the main site several hours later, and I'm still logged in.

Date: September 05, 2012 05:10PM

Thank you, Deb. I really wasn't so sure tossing my cookies would help anything. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2012 05:11PM by gene.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.