HarpTabs.com :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have ideas for the website? Like the way something works? Don't like something? Let us know here. 
"Add a Song" Proposals
Posted by: hardharper23 (---.9.31.96.cable.dyn.premieronline.net)
Date: March 08, 2010 10:15PM

I have a few ideas for adding a tab that, I think, would be good for the website.

Genre: It would make since if somehow you could put multiple genres in because alote of songs are more than one genre.

diatonic/chromatic Option: I think a good idea would be to get rid of the "Any" harp type and instead put in diatonic/chromatic.

Another idea is for seperating the "song" area into three parts:
1.) Specifics: This would be an area where you put in what brand is recommended, how long to play, or any other information.
2.)Tab: This is the area where you write the actual tab.
3.)Legend (if needed): This would be where you write down any other information relating to how to play, like B means bend, BB means double bend, etc.

I really think these ideas are good. Please rate on scale of one to ten on how much you like the idea.

-Sincerly hardharper23

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "Add a Song" Proposals
Posted by: gene (---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: March 08, 2010 11:44PM

The tab section is used for your 1, 2 and 3 above, except the brand doesn't really matter. What matters is the type of harmonica.

I agree with doing away with the "any" harp type, because you cannot play a tab for any harmonica except the type the song is tabbed for.

I wouldn't really mind if the genre selection was done away with because if you're looking for a song, you already know what the genre is.

Posted by: WaltP (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 09, 2010 01:37AM

I like the genre thing myself and wold like to see a few more; 30's, 40's, 50's Rock & Roll in addition to Rock, Ballad
I can see getting rid of "any" also as it just doesn't actually work. All the rest can be put into the body of the song. It's kind of nice seeing a little extra with the song, like TinMan "used" to do. It gives it that personal touch. As long as I'm on a roll here, it would be nice if the title space was a bit bigger. I never have a problem when I fill in the composer column, although it always ends up being the artist.

Posted by: harmusman (---.hari.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: May 04, 2010 11:08AM

All good ideas and I give 10/10 for thinking about it. The "Any" prompt is already an option select, click it and it gives you what type harp you wish your tab to be for e.g Diatonic/Chromatic and as for key, if you tab from the score your resulting tabbing can be played on any key Harmonica. My prob is, when having tabbed out a song I entered it only to get up the error message,

"Song already listed", Thanks for telling me, but that very message has crashed my tabbing and I can't get it back. So now have to do it all again, and my tab was not listed, it was a different tab, different song, different composer, the other just happened to have the same title.

Is there any way of retrieving a tab that one has lost to this?

P.S and it was a thirties song, but I'm not telling what, WaltP will beat me to it!!!

Post Edited (2010-05-04 07:19:39)

Posted by: WaltP (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 04, 2010 01:30PM

If you tell me I promise not to do it! Tab on a word document and then cut and paste and your problems will be solved. Courier New is the best font to keep things lined up.

Posted by: gene (---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: May 04, 2010 07:33PM

Also, you might need to change the title of your song. For instance, if you tab "You're My Best Friend" by Don Williams, you'll get that error message that it's already been posted. So then you look up that song, and sure enough, it's there. But it's the one by Queen. So you need to change the title to something else...like "You're My Best Friend (Don Williams)" or something.

Check out the listings for "Piano Man." It's been posted a thousand different ways (no duplicates), and each is titled differently.

BTW: As in "Piano Man" and many others, if you want to post a song that's already been posted, but you play it differently, it's OK to post. Just don't post one that's no different or hardly any different than one that's been posted.

Posted by: harmusman (---.hari.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: May 07, 2010 03:36PM

Thanks guys for the pointers. I did eventually get it on and WaltP I think you'd like it 1930's Cole Porter " In the still of the night" but for Diatonic.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.