HarpTabs.com :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have ideas for the website? Like the way something works? Don't like something? Let us know here. 
Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: 'Bout them points...
Posted by: Laurent (---.lns9.lon.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 13, 2010 10:48AM

I`m only a new member,, no tabs (yet) and no points, but I`ve been comeing here for quite a while and I`ve noticed that points don`t seem to matter to anyone here except one long time member,, I used to like going through the "Today`s Most Viewed" list but in the last year or so it seems to contain mostly songs from one member. Law of averages says that it`s not possible to have the top 30 most viewed songs EVERY day without some fiddling going on,, TIN MAN and Waltp have about 3,500 songs between them but rarely have a song there.. It just annoys me haveing to skip the first two pages to get to where the true most viewed songs are.... Maybe I`m out of line mentioning this but I think it`a bit strange......

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gene (---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: July 13, 2010 08:43PM

There's no reason to doubt the list. Those songs are popular songs. Other people may post a lot of songs, but those songs aren't necessarily popular. I'd bet a lot of the views come from people who didn't mean to end up on a harmonica site.

Posted by: yukon (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: July 14, 2010 07:32AM

We used to have that problem at different times, but I haven't noticed it recently, of course I don't spend as much time here now either, and when I do it is early in the day and the top ten is always dominated by these 4, gatman, chibluesteve, djlactose and aussie, and I know that none of them are worried about the points. If you see a unknown song with a thousand views that was just posted, or a couple of songs that have alot more views than any other songs (usually any tampering with the views only affects a couple songs), then chances are that something is wrong. Even if you haven't posted any tabs you should still have some points, as you get points for forum posts, except for the request section. As far as being out of line, I would say that you are not out of line, as you saw something that you did not think was right and brought it out in the open.

Date: July 14, 2010 08:53AM

OH, YEAH!!! I forgot about all those top ten Johnny Cash songs we had a while back. grinning smiley grinning smiley

I didn't realize there were no points for the request section. Almost every time that I say, "I'll do it, " I come back and edit the post with, "I did it." This is to avoid racking up points needlessly. Now that I know there aren't points for the request section, I'll come back with "I did it" in a new post. It might be easier for the requester to spot.

Post Edited (2010-07-14 04:57:38)

Date: July 14, 2010 03:08PM

Gene, you may want to check with the great and all knowing Nick to be sure I am right on the points, that is something I remember reading in a forum once and don't remember anyone saying any different so I am guessing that it is true, but I could be wrong. I guess I should have put in my last post that I believe that you don't get points for requests.

Date: July 15, 2010 09:31AM

Thanks Yukon,, maybe I have a few points (which I don`t deserve) I can understand the top 10 songs are often the same, but what I don`t understand is how the next 20-30 songs are by the same member,,, if it happened once in a while, maybe,, but it happens Every day.... have a look at the first 2 most viewed pages and you`ll see what I`m getting at,,
It doesn`t matter to me it`s just that I don`t think it can happen every day without someone mucking around......

Posted by: gatman (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: July 15, 2010 03:51PM

Well I for one, am going to stop requesting tabs if I don't get points for it!
Thanks Yukon, I agree with you that nobody is messing with the most popular list. When it is tampered with, the songs aren't on the second or third page, they're on the first. Sometimes with hundreds of points separating them from the rest of the pack.
Alot of the most popular are right off the all time most popular list. I have one popular tab, and it's been in the top ten just about every time I check in.
It's kind of embarrassing really, because I start to wonder if people think I'm manipulating the views.
As for chibluesteve, djlactose and aussie, They absolutely aren't point chasers. They have been here a long time and have posted some of the best tabs on the site.

Date: July 15, 2010 09:56PM

Djlactose (aka Nick) is the webmaster, by the way.

Date: July 16, 2010 07:59AM

Arrow, I checked out the pages as you said, and when I did it was mostly overrun with tabs by chibluesteve and aussie, and as gatman and I have said before steve or aussie are not self clicking these as they are not that kind of people, it is just that they posted some good tabs that get viewed alot, and as gene pointed out djlactose is the webmaster, if he was worried about points, he would just shut down the whole point system. But without knowing who these guys were and how good they have been to other members, I can understand your line of thinking, but unless it was someone else you were referring to there is nothing to worry about.

And as for the no points for requests, I must be correct as I checked out some members that had made requests and no other forum posts, or posted any tabs and they showed no points. So gene I guess you can do a new post for "I did it." And Jeff I guess we won't be seeing the hundreds of requests from you anymore.

Date: July 16, 2010 08:17AM

Thanks for checking, Yukon!
After I read your post, I clicked on a requester's page who had posted a request well over a week ago because points are updated once a week. The page showed no points and no forum posts for that person. So, you're definitely right.

Once again, thanks for checking teh stats, Fur Face!!

Ahh, nostalgia... smiling smiley

Sincerely,
Banana Boy

Post Edited (2010-07-16 04:20:13)

Posted by: gatman (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: July 16, 2010 07:15PM

Thanks for the laugh, Gene! As soon as I saw the word teh, I started laughing out loud. I think we all miss teh TIN_MAN.

Date: July 17, 2010 09:22AM

Thanks Yukon, Gatman and gene for puting me on the right track, you know these guys a lot better than I do,, but I wouldn`t say Gatman and Aussie dominate the top 10,, right now they have one each in the top 30 Chibluesteve has 6 in the top 10 and 18 in the top 30, I`m just an outsider looking in and thought it was a bit odd,, no harm meant, I`m sure now everything is above board......

Date: July 17, 2010 11:28AM

As the old saying goes "no foul no harm", just glad that you have enough interest in this site to be concerned.

And as for gene and Jeff, yuse boooiiii's get yer good fer nuttin lazy butts back to tabbin before the squeaky piece of tin can comes back with cheryl and hunts you down. Ahh, just don't sound as good when it doesn't come from TIN MAN.

Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (76.251.190.---)
Date: August 23, 2010 09:00PM

Hmmm.... I think the points are stuck again, Nick.

Added a few songs this last week and don't think the points changed any. Aren't they normally updated on Fridays?

Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (---.sub-97-192-128.myvzw.com)
Date: August 24, 2010 03:24PM

Thank you Nick! :-)

You are SO appreciated!

Posted by: djlactose (---.static.optonline.net)
Date: August 26, 2010 01:09PM

Your welcome, sometimes the update is so large the program times out.

Posted by: TIN_MAN (---.bla801.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: January 14, 2011 05:30AM

THANKS WALT for the kind words!!

and as for the rest of you lazy good fer nuttin flea bitten varmints!!!

quit ya yabberin and get to tabberin!!!!

(as for you morph touche point taken but it cant be helped!!)

but since you spent so much time trackin my movements im now gotta track yours!!!!!
which brings me to point one??!!
WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU POSTED A TAB!!!
god knows you've asked for enough of them???

Date: January 16, 2011 12:17PM

i thought they were updated on wednesday
atleast they used to be ?

but yes earthy ur right its "stuck"
ive been back and postin for what two weeks now and i got nada
(i think our beloved steve has sumtin to do with it lmao)

as much as i appreciate gettin my points
this is by far for me the most dreaded and hated points update to come

as you guys know it did burn me to surpass you, gettin ahead of aussie
i still havent recovered from and i did everything to avoid it
from chewin him out, gettin him to post tabs, giving him tabs to post etc etc

but the most "sacred" if somewhat mythical being has always been Steve!
and his position is enshrined im on the verge of nightmares about repercussions for "stealing his throne stool" i know ill get a clippin round the ears at the very least and ill take it its what else that may happen that scares me
(however the prospect of it infuriating him enough to return and give us more of his beloved and constantly viewed tabs to prevent his abducation, has me clankin and leakin dubbya dee) lol

Date: January 21, 2011 08:40AM

YO NICK

any idea of when the next points update is ???

i wanna know how long i got before i gotta get out of dodge!

Date: January 21, 2011 04:41PM

I thought they were updated on Sundays.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.