HarpTabs.com :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have ideas for the website? Like the way something works? Don't like something? Let us know here. 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
'Bout them points...
Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (---.dsl.tulsok.swbell.net)
Date: September 10, 2009 07:33PM

Funny that I'm the one askin' this and just a month ago I didn't even know what they were for.... But here goes, anyway....

I know you're busy and all, Nick, but since the site's been back up, it appears the "auto-updater" isn't quite auto updating....

For example, on my "Accounts" page, the number of forum posts is accurate, but not so on my "profile" page, and it (the Profile page) appears to not have been updated since the site's gotten back online since the crash....

On my Accounts page as well as the Profile page, the points have remained unchanged even though there's been a few more posts and a few new tabs posted. The number of tabs is correct on both, but again, no points updates.....

Could you check it, please?

Thank you in advance!

Deb
EarthDogHarpin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 'Bout them points...
Posted by: djlactose (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 11, 2009 03:51AM

basically the site is under such a stress load all of the time that the scripts which update everything just aren't working. It is all because the site is so popular. I am working on a totally new way of doing everything which may mean rewriting the entire site so we have keep the features everyone loves and possibly even bring back a few which were removed.

Date: September 11, 2009 04:49PM

GREAT that the site is so popular! (YEAH!)
Boo-boo lip that the scripts aren't working. I was getting into the points....

Man, Nick, you got your work cut out for you revamping the site.... Rather a daunting task, to say the least....

Thank you, anyway, for letting us know what's up. Your efforts are appreciated. :-)

Posted by: TIN_MAN (121.218.99.---)
Date: September 12, 2009 11:15AM

boy ur gonna be REAL busy Nick!!!

while ur at it why not chuck in bonus points to the guys that keep this place afloat!!

or make a special immortals board for folk like Aussie,Walt,Steve,Pagan and hey maybe even me!

Posted by: X2jays (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: September 12, 2009 01:18PM

Firstly tin u don't deserve bonus points! U good enough. Lol

nick wat programs do u use to do scripts for the site?
Txs x2jays

Posted by: WaltP (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 12, 2009 03:58PM

Tin, maybe some guys are keeping the site afloat, but you're the one kicking furiously to move us in some direction or other.

Date: September 14, 2009 04:29AM

I custom wrote my own program to write my scripts.

Posted by: NTL_Harp (203.171.195.---)
Date: September 14, 2009 08:09AM

there's more to life than points

(but would someone please count that post...thank you) winking smiley

Date: September 15, 2009 02:01AM

I started the first page of the new website. I am using lots of shared resources on the totally new design which should make the entire site lighter and much more secure.

Date: September 15, 2009 05:13PM

Nick, Boss Man, you're just downright awesome!

And Morph, when I read your "There's more to life than points. (But would someone please count that post...thank you)" I about spewed coffee all over my monitor I started laughing so hard!! Had to concentrate *real hard* for the moment on swallowing that coffee, THEN letting loose with laughter! *smiles* So funny!

I still smile when I read it. smiling smiley Sans coffee, of course!

Posted by: NTL_Harp (203.171.195.---)
Date: September 16, 2009 12:48PM

i hope the coffee wasn't too hot...

Date: September 16, 2009 03:37PM

Naaaah! I lack true "asbestos mouth" so I tend to put ice in my coffee to cool it down enough to be able to drink it.

Now, my maternal grandmother, on the other hand, had true "asbestos mouth" (said with affection). The coffee could be BOILING, you pour it into a cup, steam's billowing out, and she takes a sip of it and says "It's not hot enough." :-D

Date: October 03, 2009 08:35AM

Point system should be fixed now. I rewrote the code to track how far it gets each time it runs and then to restart where it left off. It should be updated everyday for everyone.

Posted by: harmusman (---.hari.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: May 04, 2010 11:58AM

Just got in on this subject so may have this wrong. Points? can't understand why my points are so low as to keep me in Website fan status when I have posted 19 song tabs (don't laugh WaltP) have seen higher points status for members having only 3 tabs. Are points awarded for making statements like this on forum. If so. I'll have to get debating.

Starting now, Harptabs home page, when I sign in shows how many guests are online, but nowadays it doesn't record how many members are. I feel it is nice to know and that you can raise them there and then for communication. Could this be restored?

Posted by: gene (---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: May 04, 2010 07:22PM

You get points from number of tabs, number of forum posts and the number of times your tabs have been viewed.

Date: May 07, 2010 07:35PM

Thanks gene, I didn't know about getting points for the viewings. My 4,000 or so viewings pale into insignificence compared to others and also I have not been on harptabs for as many years as some. Realy I shouldn't bother about points as I enjoy the site so much it's all a learning curve to me. Thanks again

Posted by: gene (---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: May 07, 2010 10:19PM

Shouldn't worry about the points?

Oh, I don't know about that. If you try to earn points, it means you're contributing. This site would be nothing without member contributions.

Date: May 10, 2010 09:20AM

All too true gene.

Posted by: NTL_Harp (202.124.74.---)
Date: May 11, 2010 03:51AM

songs do acrue points over time...which is good if u get lazy and dissapear for 6 months.

Date: May 13, 2010 08:41AM

Morph, you slay me that was very good.

Just making a point.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.