Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
Backings?
Posted by: oi4you (92.60.227.---)
Date: March 25, 2015 04:39PM

Hey everyone.

I've been playing harmonica for 5-6 months & I've made a lot of progress. Since I only had C harmonica & backed it in G on my guitar I've decided to get few more keys A, F & G, but I ain't sure what key should the backing music be on guitar, so please if you can write me down the backing for all keys.

Thank you in advance smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Backings?
Posted by: gene (Moderator)
Date: March 27, 2015 01:50PM

If you want to back in second position, as you are doing with your C harp in G, look at the Circle of Fifths. Look for the key of the song and choose a harp in the key that is one step counter-clockwise from it.

If the song is a minor key, ignore the word "minor", and still choose a harp in the key that is one step counter-clockwise. In other words, if the song is in Gm, Look on the circle for plain ole G, and choose from there. It's usually better to play minor songs in third or fifth position (2 or 4 steps, respectively, counter-clockwise).

The most common keys are the ones near the top of the circle.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2015 02:07PM by gene.

Posted by: oi4you (92.60.227.---)
Date: March 27, 2015 08:55PM

Thank you, that's really helpful! helped a lot!

Posted by: gene (Moderator)
Date: March 28, 2015 04:55AM

Aw, shucks. It weren't nuthin'.

Posted by: Windjammer (176.126.252.---)
Date: April 07, 2015 07:03PM

Thanks from me, too, Gene. I knew that circle of fifths was somewhere on the site, but hadn't been able to get back to it. I like how it shows the various scales as well.

BTW, Nemanja--while you're still using your C harp and playing your guitar, are you playing some chord progressions that include Em, Am, D7, E7, C, Cm? G E7 Am D7 is a good one to jam along with. You probably already know all this, but playing along with those minor chords will help you master those 3rd and 5th positions Gene mentioned. Try some tunes in Em or Am, too. Do you pick and hold the harp with the same hand like I do?
Ken

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.