Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
Need some advice on tabbing bends
Posted by: _Harpo (65.78.169.---)
Date: February 28, 2015 09:31AM

I am new to writing tabs and I'm not sure of the correct way to tab the various bends. In particular, when you want to write a draw note that starts down a half step and then almost immediately comes up to itself, what is the correct format? Say you want to start it with -4' (or -4b) and end on -4, but don't want it to look like 2 separate notes--how would that be done? Is that what is called a bend up? I was writing [-4'-4], but that's probably the wrong format. I have some tabs I'd like to post, but don't want to confuse people. Most of the tabs I've seen so far look kind of simple and don't show these kinds of notation.

Also, I was adding some tildes~~~~ after notes to show tremeloes. is that okay if I include an explanation? Thanks for any suggestions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need some advice on tabbing bends
Posted by: gene (Moderator)
Date: February 28, 2015 07:23PM

I've probably done it different ways. I believe I may have even tabbed it as -4, assuming whoever reads it knows what the song sounds like, and would figure out how to begin the note. So, I guess anything would work.

Date: February 28, 2015 08:40PM

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense, but I'm kind of ocd and like to get things as precise as possible. The example I gave seems like a simple and common enough technique to have a simple notation assigned to it. I do a lot of bending that is a lot more complex than that, like down and up bends that would have to look complex no matter what. I'll hold off a little longer on posting some tabs to see if any one else has some other ideas on the subject. I realize tabbing is an art, not a science. I'm just striving for clarity, so maybe I'll just provide a key to any non-standard symbology I end up using.

Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (107.203.62.---)
Date: February 28, 2015 10:07PM

Ken, what you're using looks fine to me. I would understand it if I saw it in a tab. However, if you want to try an alternate way, you could put the first note (the -4') up as a grace note right next to the main note (the draw 4), so that it looks like this: -4'-4 . That'll let people know that very little time is spent on the bent draw 4 note before playing the main, unbent, -4 note. As far as the tildas (~) for tremolo effects (or wavering), lots of folks have used that (including me).

You can always include a tab notation on your tabs to let people know what symbol you're using to designate what.

Date: February 28, 2015 11:27PM

Thanks Deb. Grace note, yes that's the intention exactly. Now I have one more question. How do you get the little -4 to appear up to the left? -4'-4 is what I get when I copy and paste. Hey is this how its done? Aha! I think I've got it! Cool! Thanks again!

Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (107.203.62.---)
Date: March 01, 2015 02:06AM

Yep! You got it!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.