Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
Etiquette
Posted by: Turkey_Man (98.24.38.---)
Date: January 03, 2015 05:34AM

So if you play a song and it is tabbed in chromatic and you play it in diatonic do you post your version or just play it happily?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Etiquette
Posted by: gene (Moderator)
Date: January 03, 2015 07:57AM

Assuming you mean that you're not playing it as written because it's not written for the diatonic, go ahead and tab & post it, if it's not already on the site for diatonic. I also assume you know that many songs tabbed for chromatic cannot be correctly tabbed for diatonic.

Date: January 03, 2015 01:39PM

Thanks, I don't want someone thinking that I am stealing their work, but there are good songs with no diatonic version or vise versa. As for correctly tabbing diatonic, yes I know that and it is frustrating. I have knowingly posted incorrect songs, but would the guy/women sitting on their porch playing for themselves rather not play a great song because it is musically incorrect or play it with a couple of notes a little off. Put another way, should everytime someone who is playing malotte's version of White Christmas should they think about how beautiful it sounds..or that "one damn note"? Honestly, this is a real delima everytime i start working on a song.

Posted by: dezzy (124.169.192.---)
Date: January 06, 2015 07:10AM

My thoughts also, Turkey Man. If a song has one or two incidentals for a Chromatic, I play the note ignoring it is a sharp, quickly over it or blow a chord. Most people like to hear the melody and don't care about a false note. Of course it is OK only if there are a few notes.

Posted by: meanon (85.0.89.---)
Date: January 16, 2015 01:01PM

I have done this on about four occasions here, taking a tab which someone else has prepared, running it through Sedel's tab converter, and publishing it here.
I always acknowledge the original author of the tab.
In one case, I have achieved a higher 'favorite count' that the original author smiling smiley

Here is one I took from Waltp and converted :
[www.harptabs.com]

and here is the original :
[www.harptabs.com]

Of course, I have done this with tabs I, myself, am interested in. Not simply to inflate my own tab post count.

Date: January 18, 2015 01:30AM

This response is both to dezzy & meanon. Dezzy, my thoughts are to not tab over to many accidental sharps, but I believe I have more "wiggle" with flats. I've been to a lot of concerts were the artist sang it a "little flat or sharp" and it was still a damn good song.

Meanon, I agree on tabbing for your own interest. I tab the songs that I want to play on my porch with a beer by my chair. I have a chromatic, it sounds precise, but I can't hear "me". I'll keep trying. I haven't looked at the sheet music, but I think Bluenoses's tab "It's All in The Game" would be a good "porch song" in diatonic. That is the song I was thinking of when I originally posted the question. Meanon, I haven't checked your tabs out yet, but I will make a point to. Thanks to both of you for responding.

Kind of interesting that it's noon in Australia, two A.M in Switzerland, and eight P.M here. Small World.

Posted by: bluenose (81.107.239.---)
Date: January 20, 2015 03:05PM

Nice to get a mention for 'its all in the game',and if ANYONE wants to convert any tabs that i have tabbed in another key or harp PLEASE do so as it can only help other harp players adding to their repertoire.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.