Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
There appears to be smoke coming from my pocket...
Posted by: zarling (96.42.215.---)
Date: November 10, 2014 05:45PM

Mom-in-law sent me a little cash for my birthday, and it seems to be burning a hole in my pocket-- looks like I'll have to break down and try a promaster before I need new pants...

I'm stuck debating keys, though... trying to decide between sticking with C (for a direct comparison to my SP20), or getting an A or a G. I'm just getting the hang of bending on my C, and have gotten the impression that bends will be more difficult on lower keys. It's probably a subjective question, but how much harder is it to bend on the lower keys-- will I feel like I'm starting all over again, or does it just take a little getting used to? Is it noticeably easier to bend on an A versus a G, perhaps? I don't buy up a harp often, and I'm kinda nervous that another key will be substantially more difficult to play. I'm probably overthinking this, but advice would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: There appears to be smoke coming from my pocket...
Posted by: beads (107.136.17.---)
Date: November 11, 2014 01:37AM

Personally I would get a different key. Bending on the low end of a low harp like G is different than bending on the C. The A is also different but not as different as the G. However, I find the draw bend on 6 to be much easier on a G or A than on a C. You could go just one step up to a D or one step down to a Bb. The bending would not be drastically different and you would have a new key.

Posted by: ,,, (104.139.196.---)
Date: November 11, 2014 11:23AM

The blow bends will actually be easier on a lower harp, so there's a trade off there. Just not much of one, since those aren't used as often as draw bends.

Anyway, get the different key. It'll probably be more difficult and you may not like it as much as a result, but it's worth it just for the experience of learning what another key is like, and then developing the skill to improve on it. In my opinion (and don't listen to my opinion on this because I suck anyway), yes a G is substantially harder. But I'd still rather have a G and a C than two C's.

Your other option is getting the same key (and having a harp you use and one you don't, instead of having two you use) because why, exactly? To figure out which one you like better? Because I have six different kinds of harps, none of them being the same key, and I know which ones I like the most and which I like the least. An "exact" comparison isn't really necessary, because so much of your preference will be based more on mouthfeel, overall sound quality, and worksmanship, as opposed to "is this one marginally easier to bend?" Because really, you're not going to find a harp that lets you bend with ease while having no skill. Quality instruments do not correct underdeveloped techniques. If one model is easier to bend than the other model of the same key, it's not going to be such a major improvement as to sway you over all the other factors alone (unless you're comparing a real harp with a 2 dollar toy). So, best bet is to get two keys, decide what model you like better, and improve your bending skill with practice instead of looking for the "easiest" harp to bend on. I can promise you that a special 20 and a promaster are both bendable, and neither of them are exceptionally challenging compared to other models.

tl;dr: there's no reason for an "exact" comparison, so just get the different key and have 2 keys instead of one.

Worst case scenario you'll get the promaster in A and be thinking "I love how this harp feels, I just wish I could bend the damn thing and get a hang of this 2 draw." Then you'll buy one in D and be happy. And you'll also get the hang of the two draw at some point, and get closer to passable on the bends.

As a side note, it looks like you're going down the same road I did! I started with a Special 20, and the next kind of model I got was a promaster.

Posted by: zarling (71.13.118.---)
Date: November 11, 2014 03:39PM

Thanks for the input! Promaster in A is on its way.

Regarding:

"In my opinion (and don't listen to my opinion on this because I suck anyway), yes a G is substantially harder."--

a) If true, keep in mind that I also suck, so your opinion is likely relevant to my experience.
-and-
b) You appear to have quite a few tabs posted for someone who "sucks". smiling smiley . Just sayin'...

I'm guessing from the threads that Sp20 to Promaster is a common path. Hohner is the one harp brand you've heard of when you get started, and when you hear "Suzuki", you think "don't they make motorcycles?" (at least that was my thought here in the upper midwest of the U.S. of A). Then you start reading the reviews and everyone seems to love the promaster...

One thing I'm really looking forward to is the weight of the harp... I'm a would-be woodworker in my spare time who likes old-school chisels, so I have an affinity for heavy duty things that can be manipulated for precision... Really no correlation to harps on that, but a preference all the same...

Posted by: gene (Moderator)
Date: November 17, 2014 02:53AM

When I started buying Promasters, the surface of the combs were smooth. Then I started getting rough combs. I was worried about air leakage, so I bought some Micropore medical tape (I had to search around to find it.) and made gaskets for the combs. I don't know if they would have leaked without the tape, but I know they ain't leakin' now.

BTW, I do some woodworking, too, now & then, but I mostly use power tools. I'm not skillful enough to do the old school stuff.

Posted by: zarling (96.42.215.---)
Date: November 17, 2014 06:07PM

I got my promaster two days ago, and it seems pretty airtight to me. Here's my first impression. I have limited experience and am comparing a new promaster in A to a year old special 20 in C, so you may want to take this with a grain of salt-- I'm guessing that some of the difference may have to do with the different keys and ages of the harps...

The promaster seems to me have a more refined sound, the SP 20 a little grittier. Not sure if I'm making that clear, but that's the best way I can think of to describe it, and it's a matter of preference, I'm sure. The promaster takes substantially less air to sound on all holes. It feels more responsive, which will force me to improve my playing-- it's far less forgiving of imperfect technique than my sp 20. Bending is different, but that's probably in large part attributed to the key change. The 3 hole was hands down the easiest to bend on the 20, it's by far the most difficult to control on the promaster, bending shut very quickly. 1,2, and 4 seem to bend about the same on both harps, 6 is marginally easier on the promaster. I do prefer the shape of the promaster-- it's easier the seal around the harp with small hands than with the boxcar shape. I think I'll up preferring the promaster, but then, it's the new toy of the moment, so I'll wait to make that call until the after the honeymoon period... Anyway, you may have another convert, Gene.

Oh-- the one major drawback to the promaster... other posts are right-- the thing's too damn pretty... stupid little microfiber polishing cloth is in my pocket right now...

Posted by: beads (107.136.17.---)
Date: November 18, 2014 12:47AM

I think the Promaster is tuned closer to equal temperment and the Sp 20 is a compromise tuning, not just intonation but not ET either. So single note melody might sound more in tune with the Promaster and chords might sound sweeter on the the 20. That 3 bend is probably a matter of you adapting to this new harp, so give it some time. However, if it persists in giving you trouble read this:
[www.bluesharmonica.com]
Especially what Winslow wrote. He knows what he is talking about.
I used to play Sp 20s and had many keys. They are nice. I tried a Golden Melody (still have it) and it sounded a bit different even though the reeds were identical. The difference was the Golden Melody was tuned equal temperment and the cover plates were full length, not tabbed covers like on the 20.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2014 12:57AM by beads.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.