Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
John Mayall and tremelo
Posted by: harmusman (80.44.165.---)
Date: November 02, 2014 04:23PM

Just seen J.M playing and singing blues with a Tremelo Harmonica. Any comments on using this type of harp for blues and do any other performers use these instead of ten hole diatonic.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: John Mayall and tremelo
Posted by: beads (107.136.17.---)
Date: November 04, 2014 08:22PM

I would be interested in seeing that. Blues oftens uses bent notes and tremolo harps are not the best for bending. It can be done by pairing up reeds in only one row and loosing the tremolo effect, but I have read that it is harder on the reeds than on a standard blues harp and you will be buying new harps. Never tried it.

I have seen people play blues on chromatics in 3rd position. For example use a C chromatic to play in D minor. You get the D minor chord and use a lot of draw notes and forget about the slide. The middle of most trems is layed out like a chrome so maybe that is what he was doing.

Re: John Mayall and tremelo
Posted by: harmusman (80.44.163.---)
Date: November 14, 2014 04:53PM

Beads thank you for your comment to mine. I am sorry but I cannot put up a video clip of JM's performance as it was a news item on one of our UK TV programmes and I was unable to record. JM has come over to his roots UK for a music tour. and the song he did was one of his own but in the blues style. His Harp work was very much chord work and I found it very unusual for him to be playing blues this way. As for your further comment of the chromatics played by blues harp players I have seen this and heard it but have noted that they use a C key harp of which they have taped the valve key in, and so then have a harp same as diatonic but with an extra 2 or more blow/draw notes even though they rarely go so high to the right hand end. Just adding that Stevie Wonder plays chromatic but then can we call him a blues player? more "POP" I think

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.