Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
lips
Posted by: brokenharped (71.47.204.---)
Date: May 11, 2014 10:52PM

I've just started playing recently. and started putting serous time in in the last week. question is how do i stop tearing up my top lip? is this like guitar and fingers where your body will adjust? doesn't seem to matter how much i luck my lips i tear this patch off every time i play. i would think lip balm would be the death of my harp. any suggestions would be appreciated. and yes I've tried using less pressure.

btw playing aC.A. Seydel Söhne blues session (rounded mouth face)

thanks in advance
brokenharp'ed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2014 10:57PM by brokenharped.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: lips
Posted by: ,,, (24.209.131.---)
Date: May 13, 2014 07:49AM

I have a Seydel blues session steel-- I looked and the cover plate design is the same thing as the normal blues session. So I have experience with this harp and have to say... I just have absolutely no idea how you're tearing your lip. What you're describing is not a normal harp playing issue that we "adjust" to, we just don't have that problem in the first place.

Have you looked into the correct embouchure for playing a harp? Your top lip should go over the top of it, not puckered against the holes, for example. Is this what you're doing? If you haven't looked into how to put it in your mouth correctly, try that. Because if that's not the issue, my only guess is you came into contact with radiation as a child and gained the dubious superpower of detachable lips.

PS: to my knowledge, lip balm shouldn't kill your harp.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2014 07:54AM by ,,,.

Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (107.203.62.---)
Date: May 13, 2014 04:09PM

Jefferson, I also play Seydel Blues Session harps (amongst others) and find them to be some of the most comfortable harps I own. Is your harp actually tearing your lip, as in causing a laceration of the tissue and drawing blood? If so, SEND IT BACK to Seydel with a note explaining what's happening and at which hole(s), blow or draw. I'm betting if there's a problem with the harp they'll send you a replacement very quickly. (They have exceptional cusomer service.)

On the other had, if your lips and mouth are just sore, particularly if you're using the "pucker" method, that will pass soon.smiling smiley

Lip balm is usually pretty safe. With proper embouchure (the way you hold the harp in your mouth and how you hold your mouth/tongue/throat/nasal cavity) it shouldn't get into the harp. Your embouchure should have your mouth open enough that your top and bottom lips are well onto the harp covers, not puckered up tight against the holes. Be sure to give yourself a break now and then, too. cool smiley

Welcome to the Forum, and welcome to the harp!

Posted by: brokenharped (71.47.204.---)
Date: May 16, 2014 07:03PM

thanks guys. i stopped for a day and let it heal and hasn't happened again. was more like rug burn of the lip, tore a layer off. I'm trying to keep my lips moister, may have been the problem.

thanks again.

p.s. good to hear i can use lip balm if necessary

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.