Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
My latest find
Posted by: bloinc (86.178.140.---)
Date: April 12, 2014 09:14PM

Hello Everyone
Can anyone give me some info about my latest little gem of a find? - It's called a Kate Carney's Favourite genuine Hohner harmonica. The box top shows a picture of a group of people having a right old knees up.
The instrument is a tremolo key c and has little pipes coming out of the back end of the upper and lower covers.
It seems to be in good condition.
Any ideas as I cannot find any reference to this model - I think that a firm called Weiss made something similar.
Thanks - I'm a newbie and am chuffed in being allowed to join the site/forum.
From Bloinc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My latest find
Posted by: yukon (24.144.171.---)
Date: April 15, 2014 10:52PM

Bloinc,
First of all welcome to the site, I personally have never heard of your harp and like you could not find anything about it on the web other than a few pictures, what I did find is this, it is a forum telling different ways to get an about date for hohner harmonicas.[www.slidemeister.com]
It is not much but it is all I came up with for you.

Date: April 18, 2014 09:17PM

Thanks Yukon for your reply and welcome.

Tonight I found some info about the Kate Carney harp in John Whiteman's Harp Anthology - it seems to be a mine of knowledge with hundreds of pictures including some examples of the Kate Carney. Will have to do some more research - the anthology is too much to take in at one go!.

My Kate Carney example is clean but has some pitting at the front of the cover plates - I've given it a quick blow/draw and all reeds respond - shall not play it because it has a wooden comb. I have experienced sore lips trying to play a 10 hole wooden comb 1896/20 solo Marine Band diatonic harp purchased recently. I was surprised how quickly it became swollen and the tines were jagged to the lips -
I have now fitted it with a composite waterproof comb which works well for me.
Thank you again Yukon for your interest. .

Date: April 19, 2014 08:55PM

Hello Yukon
Thanks for the link to slidemeister - some very useful information about dating harmonicas is given, my Kate Carney has a 5 pointed star and the shirt cuffs show from beneath the coat sleeves. The lettering is raised on the cover plates and the price of one shilling and sixpence is written on the base of the box.

Thought that I'd give you some feedback - and thanks again.
Bloinc

Posted by: yukon (24.144.160.---)
Date: April 21, 2014 07:53AM

Bloinc,

I thanks for the feedback, sounds like you have an antique in your possession, I would say you had a good find there. Glad I could help you out.

Yukon

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.