Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
Turboharps?
Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (76.251.189.---)
Date: September 22, 2013 12:51AM

Anyone out there play any of the Turboharp models?

If so, what model(s) do you have and what do you think about it/them?
How well do Turboharps (the model you have) play "out of the box"? Easy to bend?
What do you like about them and what do you dislike?
How well do the "lids" stay on after years of removing/replacing for cleaning purposes?
If a turboharp is accidentally dropped, how sturdy are the lids? Do they pop off the harp and break/chip, or do they stay on firmly?

I also noticed they had harmonicas especially for kids, such as the "TurboJunior", the "GroovyHarp", and the "PrincessHarp". Anybody ever get one of these harps? How well do these harps play (the "Kid's harps" )?

Any and all information would be appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Turboharps?
Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (76.251.181.---)
Date: October 15, 2013 02:02PM

***crickets chirping***

Really? There's nobody out there who has any past or present experience with Turboharps? confused smiley

Okay, lemme try this again...

I wish to get my grandchildren harmonicas for Christmas. My grandson has expressed a specific interest in playing the diatonic (much to my joy), and my granddaughter wants to play what her big brother plays. They are both younger than 8 years old.

I don't know why, but my first thoughts went to Turboharps since one can choose the "lid" colors and they're easy to clean. My grandson loves the color Fire Engine Red, while my granddaughter loves Pink. With the Turboharps, I can get both of those. HOWEVER, there are no numbers stamped on the lids... When I first started with the diatonic harp, the numbers did help.... but I've gotten to the point where I don't need the numbers anymore....

So then I thought of the Special 20, but there would be no way to differentiate between his and hers. Granted, I could get two different keys, but prefer to get intro diatonics in the key of C.

So then I thought of a Special 20, and a Lee Oskar or Suzuki... but I don't know....

Any suggestions?

Posted by: ,,, (24.209.131.---)
Date: October 15, 2013 05:05PM

Well, I won't say this is the best option, but if you want them to have the same harp but in different colors, this was the first thing that came to mind:

[www.rockinronsmusic4less.com]

[www.rockinronsmusic4less.com]

Seydel blues session steel has seasonal "editions." There's also a Winter edition that I can't find available at the moment except for on the german website, but the comb is black and you'd probably rather have them colorful.

The downsides are that you can't choose the color, and obviously they're expensive =/ They're also not my favorite harp, but I'm sure your grandchildren don't have mustaches so they wouldn't run into all the same problems I do.

I did some more digging and found that Hohner makes a child model in different colors:

[www.amazon.com]

but they didn't have the numbers either.

Then I found this:

[www.worldmarket.com]

But at this point you're buying kiddie harmonicas with no reviews that aren't even made by an established harp manufacturer, but rather a toy company, so I really can't vouch for that other than to say "well, it exists."

And that's all I know.

Date: October 15, 2013 07:12PM

Thank you, Ryan, for that input. It's very much appreciated.smiling smiley I thought about the Seydel Blues Session, but it doesn't have numbers across the top, like the Session Steel does. I remember the seasonal "specials" you mentioned... went to their website to look and see if they still have any. No such luck, but I know what you're talking about.

I definitely want to get them each a quality harp, so the cheapy-harps are out of the question. (And, no, they don't have moustaches yet!! LOL!)

So, now I find myself wondering: Do the numbers really need to be there? I don't use them now, but I did when I first started... so are they really that important? Or am I just "barking up the wrong tree" as they say...

Other than the no-numbers thing, the Turboharps seem like a really cool idea. I'd like to know ahead of time though, how well they stand up to what could be some inadvertent rough handling, such as the occasional drop (onto the ground or floor).

Thanks again, Ryan, for your thoughts and for the links. It really was, and is, appreciated. thumbs up

Date: October 15, 2013 07:50PM

The 1st two links I gave you were for the BSS and BSS Summer Edition, and both are available and have numbers on the top. So if you went that way, one would get a solid orange comb with shiny cover plates, and the other would get a translucent yellow comb with coverplates that have a matted finish. But again, there's the cost. That would be 60 dollars each for children, and children have a notoriously bad track record on "dropping things" and "dropping things in the toilet." The other danger is that the translucent comb would stick out as "objectively cooler" and then you're in a "but I want /that/ one" situation that you could avoid if you could just get them both their favorite color like you want.

2 cents on the numbers: I think it does help for learning, but it depends on what they want to do. If they're going to sit down with tabs, the numbers are definitely helpful. I'm not sure about necessary, but helpful. If they're going to just improvise whatever they want on it (which is more along the lines of what I imagine kids doing), the numbers probably don't matter at all.

The other alternative that comes to mind is this: if they are trying to play tabs but are having a hard time finding the right holes, you could go to a craft store and see if they have tiny number stickers. Something really small, place them far back enough that it'll be out of the way of their mouths (they'll still be able to follow from there to the holes with their fingers easily enough), and a piece of scotch tape straight across over that will probably make it so the won't rub them off very fast. Then you can explain that those are like training wheels to help them learn, and they can come off when they're no longer needed. And that way it can be kind of like a goal for them to be able to identify which hole is which on sight without needing to double check a number. They'll want to outgrow their "training wheels"

I have absolutely no clue how practical any of that really is, though. Maybe even with the tape over them, one sweaty song is all it'll take to kill the numbers. No idea, just thinking out loud. And again, it would only be necessary to even think about if they were expressing frustration finding the right holes by counting them each time.

By the way, when I was looking through amazon for ya I saw the turboharps and took a look. The first review just happened to address the very issue of durability. The review stated that the harps easily come apart if dropped onto the floor, but they also snap back together very easily with no lasting damage. I'll link you to the review, I'm not sure if it's the same model of turboharp you were looking at, but you can have a look:

[www.amazon.com]

Date: October 15, 2013 09:06PM

The link didn't work, but I think I know which one you're referring to. I remember reading a review like that (if not that specific one). The "comes apart" thing had me a little concerned, but then again, the "snaps back together easily" set me at ease, but just for a little while. My mind went to "but how many times does the harp have to be dropped and come apart before it doesn't snap together again? When does it become too loose? Does it ever become too loose??

I really appreciate your input on this Ryan. You've brought up some things that I hadn't considered (like the stickers - well thought out, man!).

I have no idea how they're going to take to playing the harp... I think my grandson will be in it full tilt, but my granddaughter may or may not. Then again, she just might surprise me and be a wizard at it! Either way, Grandma's going to be harpin' right along with them, and giving pointers where I can. And, no doubt, leading them here in case they want to try their hand(s) at playing tabs.

Thank you, again, Ryan, for all the thought you've put into this. You've brought up some very good points, and I appreciate all your efforts as well as the time you took to find the links. A most sincere "thank you".

Date: October 15, 2013 11:24PM

No problem.

The links need to be opened in another tab. Click with your scroll wheel or right click>open link in new tab. But yeah, it probably is the exact same review.

Posted by: yukon (24.144.160.---)
Date: October 16, 2013 07:34AM

Deb,

I can't help you with anything on the turbo harp, but my thought on the numbers is that my first harp (actually first 3) were Marine Band 12 hole diatonics and they did not come with numbers on them, they came with an instruction manual and a lp record to learn with(showing my age now). Until I bought my Bluesmaster I did not know you could get them with numbers stamped on them, by then I didn't need the numbers. I was twelve when I first started and at first I just played around with it not taking it too serious but once I decided to be serious about it finding the right holes actually came fairly easy with practice. So I don't think the numbers are all that important as like Ryan said if they just play around with it then it doesn't matter, and if they are around eight then they are still young enough that if they are serious then things seem to come easier to that age group than someone older starting out. Another thought if you do want numbers, maybe you know or can find someone that is good with an engraver and you could get the numbers engraved on the covers, I once met a lady who did engraving and she had engraved numbers on the far side of the cover so that she could see the numbers while playing, and she said it had no effect on the sound of the harp. Just another thought for you.

Posted by: railjumper (172.10.104.---)
Date: November 03, 2013 05:57PM

I purchased the Turbo Harp cover several years ago. Didn't much care for it. They fit most diatonics like Hohner, but don't think it would fit a Lee Oskar since they are longer. Biggest drawback: Won't fit in a carrying case slot because they are too fat.

Posted by: TigerhawkT3 (70.231.138.---)
Date: November 29, 2013 05:59AM

Does anyone know if the TurboLids are compatible with Hohner's Blues Bender series? The coverplates on the Blues Bender I just got don't seem to be very mustache-friendly.

Posted by: TigerhawkT3 (70.231.138.---)
Date: December 27, 2013 08:11AM

Confirmed: Turbolids are compatible with Hohner Blues Bender harps. It'll take a bit of getting used to, but I'm happy with it so far.

Posted by: Pulp (141.129.1.---)
Date: January 11, 2014 03:10AM

Got an engraver?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.