Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
Suzuki manji- opinion
Posted by: Almorley (86.144.233.---)
Date: April 06, 2013 09:36PM

H all fellow harp fans

I'm looking at getting some new harps and I was wondering whether anyone has tried out the new Suzuki manji harmonicas?

Whether they are worth what they are asking, how easy they are to play, and what sort of player they suit?

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Suzuki manji- opinion
Posted by: docsoc11 (71.169.134.---)
Date: April 09, 2013 12:08AM

alright - heres MY opinion. Buy a hohner. a hohner special 20, a hohner marine band, stick with the hohners that are made in germany. If you for whatever reson are extreamly stuck on buying a suzuki, i guess the manji is a good choice for rock playing or jazz (good for jazz compared to other diatonics) but my favorite is the hohner special 20 good for all players.

-Happy Harpin

Posted by: ,,, (24.209.131.---)
Date: April 09, 2013 12:54AM

^Just wondering, have you ever actually tried the Manji?

Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (76.251.188.---)
Date: April 09, 2013 07:23PM

Although I don't own a Suzuki Manji, I DO own several Suzuki harmonicas (both diatonic and chromatic) and I assure you they are good harps. Their quality gets better as they rise in the cost ladder (just like Hohner harps). My Suzuki MR 350 Promaster is a sweet, and comfortable, harmonica. It sounds good, plus it's great eye-candy. smiling smiley

Having looked at a close up of the Suzuki Manji online, it appears to have a recessed comb under the coverplate (which means the coverplate is on top and sticking out a bit). This may or may not allow for some sharp edges against the mouth (which may make it uncomfortable to play). It also looks as though it could be rather "unforgiving" of a moustache (just surmising here...).

Alex, have you looked at any Seydels yet (aka C.A. Seydel Sohne)? Specifically, the "Blues Session" or a "Blues Session Steel"? They're similarly priced harmonicas, but their coverplates are recessed into plastic combs, thus making sure there are no sharp edges to cause discomfort. smiling smiley Plus, with the plastic comb, they're washable thumbs up (which will eventually come in handy)!

Posted by: rbone (75.38.130.---)
Date: April 10, 2013 01:30AM

I've got 4 Manjis, among others. I found them a little harder to play at first, moving up from a sp20 due to the stronger reeds, but they seem to be louder, feel light in the hand, nice on the lips and VERY responsive. On the downside the coverplate is open and not supported on the open edge so it's not as strong as others. The last one I bought was a Promaster and it couldn't be more different than the Manji. It took me awhile to warm up to it but I find it very comfortable in the hand and easy to play also. They're both great harps and personally I like my Manjis. To each his own. You won't go wrong with either one. I don't have any Seydels but look forward to getting one. Don't know which one though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2013 03:38AM by rbone.

Posted by: paulopete (70.193.205.---)
Date: April 13, 2013 03:12PM

i enjoy my manji- its actually more forgiving on my mustache than any of the horners i got, believe it or not.thumbs up

Posted by: docsoc11 (71.169.134.---)
Date: April 13, 2013 05:50PM

i Have 2 Manjis, Both of them i find extreamly dull compared to my 4 special 20s.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.