Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
tunes like.... love me do.????
Posted by: Mike63 (122.107.111.---)
Date: February 19, 2013 05:20AM

hi all
I'm a newbie.I've had harmonicas around me my whole life even as a kid they were a fairly standard birthday or Xmas present but I never really gave it a good go. I wish I was encouraged a bit more earlier on in my way too close to 50 years.

Anyway, I'm now ready to do the hard yards' to do something amazing for myself which of course is learning the harp. I picked it up the other day and hav'nt put it down since. That was only 4 days ago' but I AM LOVING IT!!!

This site is awesome and I've added a few to my favorites' but I'm after something like "Love me do" , something I can rip out. I would not say I've mastered it but I know it well enough to start playing around with it. That's what I want(neeed). I'm developing my method but I think I'm pretty comfortablewith the tounge block. Is that OK??? Or should I be trying the pucker??? Not to say that I hav'nt tried it, but just can't seem to get that happening.

Sorry, I'm clearly woffling on but I just need another hit like the one I get from Love me do by the Beatles. Please help me.

Cheers Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tunes like.... love me do.????
Posted by: nicky2002 (75.41.69.---)
Date: February 19, 2013 02:46PM

Make sure you practice more then you will be able to do that.

Posted by: WaltP (173.46.189.---)
Date: February 20, 2013 08:31PM

for playing single notes and intervals, tongue blocking is hard to beat. for chords and bending pucker is hard to beat. so, work on both.

Posted by: nicky2002 (75.41.71.---)
Date: February 20, 2013 09:34PM

Practice playing song that are not too easy and not too hard.

Posted by: Bpeters (151.213.219.---)
Date: February 21, 2013 02:13AM

Try giving "Wouldn't it be nice" by the beach boys a try.
That's what I'm trying to learn. Having problems with my 7 draw though...

Posted by: Bpeters (151.213.219.---)
Date: February 21, 2013 02:13AM

Try giving "Wouldn't it be nice" by the beach boys a try.
That's what I'm trying to learn. Having problems with my 7 draw though...

Date: February 21, 2013 08:35AM

Thanks guys. I know I need to pucker but I'm just not getting it. How is it possible to have the harp deep in your mouth and play a single note? I am trying and practicing, but there is some little thing I seem to be missing. Feel free to help me more with the puckering thing because I know I can do this, just have to find that connection,that little way. I'm waiting for the penny to drop, hell, I can hear it spinning in the air on its way down, but the bloody thing just won't drop for me.
I feel like once I can do that,the sky's the limit. Just muscle memory after that......and a whole lot of finese. Hopefully that's when the years of practice and jamming come into to. I want it bad so I'll keep you posted. This is a fantastic place. Thanks again guys.
Mike:-)

Posted by: yukon (24.144.160.---)
Date: February 21, 2013 09:38AM

Mike, maybe try by imagining that you have a straw in your mouth with your jaw relaxed, place your harp on your lips just tight enough to get a seal and as you can constantly play a single note then start moving your harp deeper into your mouth while still maintaining the single note.

Date: February 21, 2013 09:52AM

OK. I'll give it a go.
Thanks

Posted by: gene (Moderator)
Date: February 21, 2013 11:39PM

Yeah, what Yukon said.
Your lips should look like you're sucking a milk shake - NOT like you're blowing dust off of something.

Date: February 23, 2013 04:07AM

I'll give it a try and let you know. I love the beach boys! Classic

Date: March 15, 2013 09:08AM

Hey guys, just thought I'd let you know I've got the lip block thing happening!
Haven't tried the beach boys yet but I'm loving "lean on me","amazing grace" and some blues riffs at the moment as well as some campfire songs for our annual trip to Mudgee (sheep & wine country NSW Australia).

Can't really explain how it happened, it kinda just came to me(just like you said it would).

Anyway just keeping you informed of my slow but promising progress.

I'm a happy Harper!!

Cheers
Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.