Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
is the Hohner Big River Harp any good?
Posted by: captainbasch420 (24.173.124.---)
Date: July 05, 2012 03:31PM

im looking for a new harmonica, right now i have a suzuki easy rider, so its time to upgrade. lol.
the main thing im looking for is durability, and playability.
does anyone have any experience with the big river harp? is it any good?
if not, whats a good harp in the 30 dollar range for someone in the beginner/intermediate group could play?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: is the Hohner Big River Harp any good?
Posted by: gene (Moderator)
Date: July 06, 2012 05:11PM

Jeff,
Would you like to tell him about the Suzuki Promaster? I would, but people are going to start thinking I work for Suzuki. winking smiley

Posted by: yukon (24.144.160.---)
Date: July 09, 2012 08:00AM

There are several different possibilities,Hohner Special 20, or the Marine Band, the comb being the difference in the two, The Suzuki Promaster that Gene speaks of is more expensive but worth it if you have the extra cash, if not the Suzuki Bluesmaster is a good alternative,Lee Oskar has the 1910 Major Diatonic, Seydel has their Blues Session. The best thing is to read all the reviews on this site and anywhere else you can find them,then pick which one you think you would like best as it all comes down to personal preference. The 30 dollar range is a good starting point, as a rule you don't want to go lower than that. Now with all that I will say that personally I would go with the Suzuki Bluesmaster, or the Promaster if you have the extra, but like I said it is all personal preference, it may take you buying 3 or 4 different brands before you find one that you like the best or you may buy your first one and decide that it is the one for you.

BTW, I have never played the Big River Harp so I couldn't tell you anything about it first hand.

Posted by: gatman (98.160.231.---)
Date: July 09, 2012 09:48PM

Yeah Gene, I'll clue him in. I don't want you to risk your indorsement dollars from Mr. Suzuki. The Promaster is far and away the best harmonica I have played. If I would have listened to Gene sooner, I could have saved a couple of hundred dollars that I wasted trying out other harps. If you can swing $50 instead of $30, I would highly recomend the Promaster. Aside from its beautiful looks, it is a very playable harmonica. In tune out of the box, bends like a dream, and the sound of it is like Angels singing. Okay, I exagerated a little on that last one, but you get the point. When I started out, I thought I had to try as many harmonicas as I could to decide which one I liked best. Not true. Find one you really like and stick with it. Get one in the key of C to start. you can play anything on it. I still play my C harmonica more than any other key. You can add other keys as you need them.

P.S. sorry I didn't chime in sooner. I was on vacation in nice cool Idaho.

Posted by: beads (108.69.177.---)
Date: July 10, 2012 12:07AM

The Big River is an OK harp. It is the low priced end of Hohner's MS series. Hohner sells replacement reed plates for it. I had one for several years. It took a bit more breath to play than my Oskars or Special 20s. It got better after I lowered the gaps. I liked it but I prefer recessed reed plates. The Big River has a plastic comb which is what I prefer. If you play hard the Big River might be a good choice.

Posted by: harshul3311 (122.161.47.---)
Date: January 22, 2013 02:58PM

got one HBRH,,,,, sounds awesome

Posted by: bublnsqueak (81.130.122.---)
Date: January 25, 2013 01:18PM

I have both the SP20 and the Promaster. I'm a begginer and still working through finding my preferences.

I agree that the Promaster is sweeter sounding and a real precision instrument, but I prefer the SP20 for its lack of precision or class. Much more bluesy. So I guess it depends on what you like (as always).

No doubt, as my skill develops so will my preferences.

However, I have been playing the banjo for a few years now and have quite a collection. The truth is that which one I prefer changes with: the weather, My mood, The company I'm in etc etc. I do have 1 or 2 favourites but I keep em all! Expect it will be the same with harps.

Paul

Posted by: Rebel (195.240.137.---)
Date: June 27, 2014 11:57AM

I had Lee Oscar and Suzuki as well after using Big River for years.
With the Big River i needed less air to get my tones out. Bending is easy with the Big River.
If you are a semi pro or beginner i think the Big River will bring you much joy in playing and experimenting.
Only thing here in Holland is that the Big River is not easy to get now a days.
Why? I dont know but is a pitty.
I can recommend it to many people.

Posted by: Rebel (195.240.137.---)
Date: June 27, 2014 11:58AM

I had Lee Oscar and Suzuki as well after using Big River for years.
With the Big River i needed less air to get my tones out. Bending is easy with the Big River.
If you are a semi pro or beginner i think the Big River will bring you much joy in playing and experimenting.
Only thing here in Holland is that the Big River is not easy to get now a days.
Why? I dont know but is a pitty.
I can recommend it to many people.

Posted by: badalternative (50.71.78.---)
Date: September 21, 2014 07:20PM

I'm quite new to the harmonica.
I fell in love with the sound when I clicked on one of " harproli "s posts on youtube.com. The Titanic theme and fell in love with the sound.
I'm still trying to bend the first note but should have it by christmas.....
I now have the big river harp in c and g and am quite satisfied and am pretty sure most beginners will too.

I recommend it quite highly to new users.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.