Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
new harp
Posted by: pleuksar (---.nas1.gainesville1.fl.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 22, 2006 06:36PM

I bought a new harp yesterday- a Hohner Special 20 in G.

I have a Hohner Big River in G, but since I got the Bushman Delta Frost in C, the Big Rivers that I have play with much more effort and feel like they are leaking air.

I wanted to try a Special 20 after reading Frank's and also Maria's comment's about them. Much better than the Big Rivers, but not as responsive as the Bushman.

I still like my Big Rivers, they were what I first started learning on, but I learned a lot about the differences in harps.

I appreciate everybody's reviews; it helps to try out the different harps and compare the reviews and my own experiences. I seem to identify best with Frank's reviews and rating standards, but I enjoy reading all of them.

-rufus

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: new harp
Posted by: pharpy (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 22, 2006 10:17PM

Yes, by all means, let's have some more reviews! I can't afford to buy every harp out there! (Not to say I won't try! )

Re: new harp
Posted by: pleuksar (---.nas1.gainesville1.fl.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 06, 2006 02:37AM

Yesterday, (Saturday) I went to get my son some guitar strings, and asked about a Special 20 in F. The guy behind the counter found one and let me hear it on the tester. Then he took out a Big River, and said "For me, before I forget". When he saw my puzzled look, he explained, "I play the Pro Harp, and I blow out the reeds sometimes so I just buy a Big River to replace the reeds with." Since I have 4 Big Rivers, but hardly play them as they seem leaky compared to my Bushman Delta Frost and Special 20, he had my interest. I had probably already read it here, but he explained that the MS series reeds were all interchangeable. I knew that the Big Rivers were, but now I could get a better harp and use my Big River reeds as spares. He let me hear the Pro Harp in F, and it ended up going home as my newest harp. It plays more airtight than the Big River, but it sure ain't no Special 20, or much less a Delta Frost.

However, the opportunity of trying and practicing with a different harp is invaluable in expanding my experiences with the harmonica.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.