Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS IDEA?
Posted by: irishharpman (---.dhcp.nwtn.ct.charter.com)
Date: January 16, 2006 03:35PM

Nick, you talked about increasing number of tabbed songs. Yeah,,,,the core group of consistent tabbers is crucial to this site's success.

My problem is I haven't time,,,,when I am free, I am practicing.

Nick,,,this site's importance to the harp community is huge and you gave me an idea,,,,,,

How about a "fund raiser" setup of sorts (sans funds) to reach your goal of a designated amount of tabs by year end,,,,,,Is 2500 unrealistic?........

maybe the person who tabs a song gets their name written on a piece of paper and it goes in a hat,,,,next New Years eve, the winning ticket gets drawn and the winner gets a nice prize,,,,,

I'd be willing to send a few bucks if others were,,,A designated amount should be established...,,if you collected a couple hundred dollars, we could find consensus for the prize here in the forum, MAYBE a pignose amp ,,,or a meisterklasse,,,,,,,,,i dunno,,,,,,,,,,

Maybe one should HAVE to donate AND post at least one song to get in the drawing ,but chances of winning should definitely increase as the number of songs someone tabs increases.

Oh,,,,if this doesnt get shot down completely,,,,I would have a scroll on the homepage which somehow directs people to this drawing.......

I am aware of tax and other restrictions when money becomes involved but I believe this sort of thing is legal as long as the total amount collected is flipped back into prizes and none is kept.........I am not completely sure though.

The upside to something like this first is,,,a boatload of new tabs,,,,,more site hits I think,,,,,,,and you know the rest Nick.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS IDEA?
Posted by: djlactose (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 16, 2006 04:06PM

I would love to get the tab count higher, but I don't think anyone other then the current contributors would participate. I sent out something like ten emails to different websites to help get more links to the site and get us more hits which should help increase the number of tabs. I don't know if anyone would be willing to do a paying contest, but we would need to get a large number of people just to get a good price.

Post Edited (01-16-06 12:09)

Posted by: chibluesteve (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2006 04:48PM

I think we need tabs that people like and want to post, not tabs that are coded to win a prize. Good idea anyway.

Date: January 16, 2006 05:21PM

Nick,,,you're probably right but you might be surprised judging by the steady stream of new members,,,,,Just brainstorming is all

Date: January 16, 2006 08:04PM

I would love for this site to continue to grow but one of the things I have noticed is that it seems to grow at its own pace no matter what I do lol.

If everyone wants to do it we can.

Posted by: dstaats (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: January 17, 2006 03:58PM

I'm always game for new ideas to help out. (smile)))

I haven't been tabbin' as much lately because my time is short, & I spend what I have of it practicing on my harmonica. I'm trying to memorize the music more to hopefully add more emotion to my playing.

Anyway, if ya'all want to start something to improve the tab odds around here, you know I'll jump in & participate the best I can. (grin)))

~always Maria.

Posted by: chibluesteve (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2006 11:58PM

I really don't think it is a good thing for this site. We will have better quality tabs when people tab things they like than we would if people tabed for a contest.

Date: January 18, 2006 01:02AM

Steve, I know what you mean, but what if the tabs for the contest was put in a "box," & the 750 members here could vote on their favorite? That would be one way to curtail the quality of the tabs, if ya know what I mean? The contest entries could remain in the "box," separate from the regular tabs list until after the contest. I would imagine, if no one voted for my tab, I'd take it home & work on it some more before submitting it to the forum. (wink, grin)))

Also, we already have some tabs here that don't do a thing for me or perhaps I'm not hearing the same thing the author of the tab is hearing. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. lol I still think it's a great idea if members could somehow rate the tabs we already have listed. People would be more careful before makin' submittions, knowing it'll get rated by their peers, and make it easier for the rest of us to scroll through.

And thanx Steve... it's good to see your pretty smile too. (smile)))

~always Maria... and her 2 cents. hehehe

Date: January 18, 2006 01:10AM

and Nick,

We're just brainstorming some fun ideas for the future. I realize that you actually have a life outside the computer, and we're sitting here soo easily gobbling up all your free time. lol

Please don't feel pressured by us enthusists of HarpTabs. I have faith this place will evolve of it's own accord, and I look forward to being a part of it. (smile)))

So, take a deep breathe, and give us everything we want by tomorrow! roflmao...

((duckin' under the table))) please don't hurt me... hehehehe

~always Maria. (wink)))

Posted by: Barbarian (---.resnet.purdue.edu)
Date: January 18, 2006 01:33AM

maybe you could all send me 5 dollars and i will gamble it all on lottery tickets.

Date: January 18, 2006 02:33AM

Barbarian wrote:

> maybe you could all send me 5 dollars and i will gamble it all
> on lottery tickets.

I have a better idea everyone send me ten dollars and I will take it all to vegas and put it on black and then I will use the winnings to retire and just do this site full-time LOL.

Post Edited (01-19-06 02:34)

Date: January 18, 2006 10:00AM

Well, I started typing a few different thoughts about the direction this thread is going, but erased them! I think Nick's response to the initial post when he wrote,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

"I don't know if anyone would be willing to do a paying contest, but we would need to get a large number of people just to get a good price."

"""""""""""is probably very accurate.

It is evident,,,as I suspect Nick already knew, that out of the 750 members, only a small handful tab songs, and fewer amounts participate in the forums.

Que sera sera

Date: January 18, 2006 04:03PM

irishharpman wrote:as I suspect Nick already knew, that out of the 750 members, only a small handful tab songs, and fewer amounts participate in the forums.

lol yeah Rob, some of us dream bigger than the reality will immediately allow. (wink grin))) Like Nick said, this place will grow at it's own pace, no matter what we do. And since I arrived, last July, I've seen HarpTabs grow in spurts.

Probably the best thing that we did was get Harptabs listed on as many other websites as we could. The higher up we land in the google search, the better. (smile)))

~always Maria.

Date: January 18, 2006 07:49PM

Yes I agree, this site does grow in spurts. Unfortunately we were in a little bit of a slump. Today things picked up a bit and I hope they continue to. I did another round of website listings and got us added to several more sites. I would love to get this site to be the number one listed site, which it is in some catagories. The more hits we get the higher we will go on the list.

Posted by: Barbarian (---.resnet.purdue.edu)
Date: January 18, 2006 09:18PM

maybe we could offer naked pictures.would that help?

Date: January 18, 2006 10:50PM

Barbarian,,,,How many tabs have you posted?

Date: January 19, 2006 06:36AM

Barbarian wrote:

> maybe we could offer naked pictures.would that help?

Unfortunately the way the internet is if we did I bet it would help.

Date: January 19, 2006 05:33PM

make that naked pictures of harmonica players. (giggle)))

Date: January 19, 2006 06:12PM

Naked people playing the harmonica genius lol

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.