Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
Tabs from ISMAEL LO ?
Posted by: Wailer (---.w82-122.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: January 08, 2006 06:46PM

Hello,

Does someone knows where to find tabs of "ISMAEL LO", and especially songs "Jammu Africa" and "Tajabone".
If you don't know that african artist, please listen, you'll fall in love.....

Thanks for your help,

Ren ;-)))
Grenoble / France

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tabs from ISMAEL LO ?
Posted by: chibluesteve (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2006 03:18AM

There are basically two ways people create tabs.

First, some people, like me, translate sheet music.

Second, more talented people listen to the music and tab it out.

If there is sheet music for the songs you like the first method is possible, otherwise some more talented person needs to hear the music and tab it.

Good Luck, it was the lack of tabs for songs I love that started me tabbing.

Posted by: irishharpman (64.251.54.---)
Date: January 12, 2006 01:44PM

.......I recently had the same problem bcause I wanted a harmonica solo from a song called Galway and Mayo performed by Anthony Thistlewaite (former Waterboy) and current Saw Doctor which was quite good and I couldnt get the nuances down.

I downloaded and used Transcribe to slow song down to 15% and Bendometer to track the note changes as I write them down.....Of course I have attached a PC mike to the computer and put it up to the speaker..Bendometer is good cause you dont have to guess the harp hole,,,,,,,it's visually apparent.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Bendometer indicated octaves as well and at 15% speed I was able to tab the harmonica riff,,,,,,,,,,as far as entire non- harmonica songs,I havent yet tried this set-up since I only used it one time..

I am moving more and more away from trying to play entire songs which are tabbed out and many which dont have a harp in the original version like most songs on this site.

Instead, I am concentrating on listening to,and trying to emulate actual harmonica solos from existing songs.

I am a Gemini with ADD,,,a killer combination,so next month I am sure to have a new direction

Posted by: [email protected] (---.com)
Date: January 15, 2006 06:13AM

Actually there's a third way of getting a tab. Find the song in a midi file. There are programs available that will allow you to see the notes played in the midi file. Once you know the actual notes played, it's easier to create the tab. Normally using Bendometer is the easiest way to decide what notes to use. Sometimes it's hard because a melody in the key of G may show notes C D E but when you play it on a key of C harp, you need to play F G A to get the melody to sound right. So even knowing the notes doesn't help much unless you also know what key it's in.

I've done tabs from sheet music, midi's and listened to a song over and over. Helps to have the MP3 file. My musical study ended in my early youth. My mother forced me into taking piano lessons. Although I was never very good at it and never wanted to play the piano, I can actually say I still remember most of the music lessons about sheet music which has helped. That was 30+ years ago.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.