Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
tabbing question
Posted by: dstaats (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: December 29, 2005 12:42AM

Hey gang (smile)))

I've been stressin' over this irish melody, "Love is Pleasin’, Love is Teasin’" all day because what I'm interpeting on the sheet music doesn't quite match what I hear in the midi file I have on it. I like the midi, so I keep going back to that... which is a trick because I've never tried to do it by ear. lol

Has anybody ever have that happen?

~always Maria.

P.S.: I try not to summit garbly-gook, so feelin' a little insecure about this tab. (shagrin)))

Post Edited (12-28-05 20:43)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tabbing question
Posted by: gsatgdo (---.234.30.33.Dial1.Miami1.Level3.net)
Date: December 29, 2005 04:31AM

It may well be that the midi you have is the players interpretation, and an improvisation to suit thier liking and style, and may not follow the music notation as written, thats not uncommon. Yes I know how frustrating it can get trying to play and tab by ear, I have been trying for weeks on and off to play a wonderful Irish tune called " The Irish Washerwoman" I am doing this by ear since I don't have the written sheet to tab from.
And as you are doing, I also am listening to a midi and trying to duplicate the melody, I have absorbed some of it that I can play, but I reached a point in the tune that I just can't capture, I hit a brick wall. Once I get over this passage and have it firmly in my mind and can play it. Then I will tab it note for note from my playing, and post it. I know that you are fond of Irish tunes, you will really love this one, it sounds great on the harmonica, your toes will start tapping once you hear it and start playing. It's a lively tune and well suited for the harmonica.
Irv

P.S.- - If you have the lyrics( if there are any) post it under your tabs, makes it easier to play.

Post Edited (12-29-05 01:18)

Posted by: pharpy (---.sip.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 29, 2005 02:49PM

'Tis better to go by the sheet music than by a midi file.

At least that's how I feel. Normally, (unless it's a special arrangement for a particular instrument) a musical score will be more accurate to how the song was written. It's easier to modify the acutal thing to sound like you think it should, than to try and match a midi file. Normally, if I'm tabbing from a midi, I use the "Harping!" software that will help you tab a midi file based on the actual notes played in the midi.

Posted by: gsatgdo (---.234.45.182.Dial1.Miami1.Level3.net)
Date: December 29, 2005 03:08PM

What is " Harping" software? and where can I get it?
PCGUY you are an encyclopedia with legs, we all are very fortunate to have someone like you available to us harp players, dispensing helpful and accurate information. We all benefit from you. Thanks
Irv

Posted by: chibluesteve (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2005 04:48PM

That's what I love about this site. All the people sharing all the things they know!

THe hardest thing about learning Harmonica was the lack of good tabs.

THis site not only gives you tabs, but it teaches many ways to create tabs.

Posted by: dstaats (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: December 29, 2005 05:04PM

(nodding understand))) thanx guys. Not surprizenly, I can play the way the sheet music has it... and get very frustrated trying to make it sound like the midi file. Sometimes it's glaringly apparently that I need to aquire more experience... which I will in time.

Quite often, I can match lyrics to songs... particularly songs I'm familar with. But before I got into harmonicas, I didn't know I had a love of Irish music, and I'm unfamilar with most of the melodys I'm trying to re-create. Although, I have heard of the Irish Washerwoman before... seem to remember it as a jig (very fast tune), originally a fiddle tune, I beleive. Someone gave me the tabs to Irish Washerwomen. I don't know how good the tab is because I've stayed clear of the jigs & some of the reels as too fast for this beginner lips, but I'd be happy to share the tab I've got and you can compare it to what your doing and maybe get past that wall? Just email me Irv at zephyrazure@juno.com, & I'll be happy to send it your way. (grin)))

I forgot all about the Harping Software, Frank. I'll try that and see what I come up with. (smile)))

The fact is, I tend to complicate things by thinking too much. lol

Thanx for the input... I'll keep workin' on it.

~always Maria.

Posted by: pharpy (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 29, 2005 09:48PM

Irv wrote:

> What is " Harping" software? and where can I get it?
> PCGUY you are an encyclopedia with legs, we all are very
> fortunate to have someone like you available to us harp
> players, dispensing helpful and accurate information. We all
> benefit from you. Thanks
> Irv

Harping! is a program that will take a midi file and break it into the various tracks it was played in, and then it will allow you to display either the note values (ABCDEFG) or the harmonica tab equivalents (including bends, & overblows). The other cool thing is, you can pick what key harp you want the tab for as well as whether or not you are playing diatonic or chromatic. You can also transpose the music if it's too low or too high or in the wrong key for the harp you have.

You can play with it all you want without registering it, but you can't print or save anything. (there are some other features that don't work right & you get an annoying reminder that it's an unregistered copy until you do register it.)It's not that much to register (I think only $20, but I may be wrong), but well worth it. It's one of the few shareware things out there worth paying for.

The website is [www.harpingmidi.com]

Posted by: djlactose (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 29, 2005 11:53PM

You sold me LOL. I tried the program once but saw that a lot of the features didn't work right so I didn't want to pay for it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.