Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
New to the harp
Posted by: RunningBear (---.reding01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2005 06:12PM

I am brand new to the harp, only played for about three months now, and I know this is an odd thing to say, but the instrument has changed my life. By the by, anyone know how to break in the 8 draw, I still can't get it right.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New to the harp
Posted by: djlactose (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 14, 2005 06:27PM

Most likely it is your breathing technic which is hindering you...that or a defective harmonica. What type of harp is it?

Posted by: dstaats (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: November 14, 2005 06:56PM

Welcome to Harptabs, Harpman57. You found one of the best places on the internet for harmonica support... not to mention the gobs of tabs to choose from! (grin)))

I've only been playing for about 3 1/2 months myself. I've never had trouble with the 8 draw. For me, it was the 2 draw, and I fixed much of that by learning how to hold my harp correct & allowing air through my nose as I'm drawing. You might try that on your 8 draw & see if it helps.

I look forward to getting to know you around the forum, Terry. (smile)))

~always Maria.

Posted by: scottishbob (---.stb.ubr12.newt.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: November 15, 2005 10:34PM

This is the single most important lesson I learned playing the moothie.

Never underestimate the power of breathing correctly.

moothie = harp in scottish

Posted by: RunningBear (---.reding01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2005 04:32PM

Well, I have used the Honer bluesband and pocket pal, and a chicago blues harp. All cheaper ones yes, but everyone swears that using them is the same thing as the more expensive ones. Everything I do sounds great except the 8 draw. I've even taken to tounge blocking the 6and7.

Date: November 19, 2005 09:07PM

Sounds like a bad harp reed to me.

Date: November 20, 2005 12:44AM

(nodding agreement))) My very first "real" harmonica was a Hohner Special 20... and wouldn't you know, it came out of the box with 2 bad reeds. Also, it's not uncommon for beginners to blow out a reed.

I also agree with scottishbob that breathing correctly (deep from the diaphram) is very important. I have asthma and wind instruments come highly recommended for people with breathing problems. I frequently run out of air, but I've only been playin' the harp for about 3 1/2 months, and I've already noticed that I'm breathing better. (grin)))

Personally, I often don't like the way my 2 draw sounds... and sometimes my 3 draw on the G key. I can play those draws, only very slowly... so I tend to choose songs that avoid those draws all together or I might cross harp up to a higher key. hehehe

~always Maria.

Re: Trouble with 8 draw
Posted by: Wailer (---.aus.amer.dell.com)
Date: November 21, 2005 12:11AM

Since you have several harps, is this problem occuring on each one?
If so, it is most likely your technique. If it's just one harp in particular
giving you trouble with the 8 draw, I would agree, that it's the harp.

Beginners tend to have trouble playing a clean single note on draw 2, and some of the upper register notes. The problem is usually angled airflow, resulting in a pre-bend.

If this particular note is giving you trouble on all your harps, don't be
discouraged. Practice and time, will correct the problem.

Posted by: SergioCarlos (69.79.90.---)
Date: December 02, 2005 04:39AM

I'm new to the harp too ^_^. New as in two weeks as a max. I've always been curious about it, and found a Chicago Blues harp for 1.99 online, so I ordered two, and a FastTrack Harmonica book... hehehe... it's been really fun. Even though I think my harp has holes 9 and 10 busted. Need to check the other one.
Oh, and even though I'm ejoying the harp bad, I specially enjoy low sounds, like, from hole 1 to hole 5.
What kind of harmonica has a good low sound that's enjoyable?

Date: December 02, 2005 05:47AM

I love the sound of the three hole on a C harp.

Date: December 03, 2005 07:26PM

My 1st harmonica was a Chicago Blues harp, and it went bad on me within 3 days. But, I intend to buy up several of 'em (they are inexpensive) to hand out to the kids in my neighborhood as Christmas gifts. I'm even going to print out a few easy tabbed kids songs to get the little rugrats started. (wink, grin)))

My favorite hole sounds on the "C" harmonica is the 4 blow & draw (C & D key notes), & I look for tunes in that range all the time. (grin)))

~always Maria.

Posted by: pleuksar (---.nas3.gainesville1.fl.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: December 03, 2005 10:17PM

I agree with Nick. I am probably not as good as most of you, but when I hit the 3 hole just right, man, it sounds really good. I think I may be getting the bend technique right at last. I am sounding better.

Posted by: tattoo (63.163.56.---)
Date: January 05, 2006 07:25PM

I have been learning on a cheap bluesband and am ready to move to a better harp, don't want to buy a dozen or so to find a good one would like to get a modertally priced upgrade. any suggestions

Re: beginner upgrade
Posted by: tattoo (63.163.56.---)
Date: January 05, 2006 08:09PM

I have been learning on a cheap key of c bluseband(4.00) and am looking for a better harp withouy buying several cheap ones, I would rather buy one better, moderaly priced, Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Posted by: pleuksar (---.nas1.gainesville1.fl.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 05, 2006 10:03PM

Terry, I read where you said that the harmonica has changed your life.

How so?

Posted by: chibluesteve (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 06, 2006 04:58AM

I really like my Lee Oskars.

I would recomend that when you upgrade your harp you get one with a plastic comb.

Posted by: ATLCherokee (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2006 05:16PM

I know the first harp I bought was a wooden comb Hohner Marine Band, and while I loved it, I started playing Special 20's, and the plastic comb is MUCH better to use. The wood comb has air leaks that the plastic comb doesnt when your playing, and is alot easier to seal off and get better sound....The wooden comb has a constant air sound-With that said, I still havent used the golden melodies, and the rounded back of the harp is appealing to me, rather than the rectangular shape of the Special 20'S.....But as far as sound, I like the special 20's for sure....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.