Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
Tabbing Methods
Posted by: pharpy (---.sip.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 04, 2005 08:21PM

I was trying to figure out how to convey rythm in a tab, and I think I might have figured it out, but I'd like some input. I've got two different methods, just tell me what you think.

Option #1: Above the numbers, put what kind of note is using the following letters:

T = thirtysecond note
S = sixteenth note
E = eighth note
Q = quarter note
H = half note
W = whole note

Either an asterix could be used after the letter to indicate if it was a dotted note (i.e. H* or Q*). R would be used in the number line to indicate a rest, and once again, the duration would be indicated above it.

With this, your tab might look like this:

SCARBOROUGH FAIR

3/4 time

_H___Q___H_____Q_Q*___E_Q______W____Q
-4__-4__-6____-6_5___-5_5_____-4____R
Are you going to Scarbo-rough Fair?

Option #2: Use asterix or dots to represent the smallest note length used. Using Scarborough Fair as an example again, the smallest note used is an eighth note, so each dot would represent an eighth note. Counting the number and any identifiers (blow, draw, bend, etc) as one, you would then follow the number with enough dots to indicate how long the note should be held.

The previous line would end up looking like this:

SCARBOROUGH FAIR

3/4 time

-4*** -4*_-6***_-6*_5**_-5_5*____-4*****_R*
Are___you going to__Scarbo-rough Fair?

Do you guys like either of these ideas or am I making things too complicated?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tabbing Methods
Posted by: dstaats (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: November 05, 2005 06:05PM

hi Frank (smile)))

Well, I understand you. In fact, in a couple of my tabbed songs, I was sort of doing what you're doing, only using the understroke ____ <--to indicate how long to hold notes & rhythem. Each line represented an 1/8 note. Like this: -4 -4 -6 -6 5 -5 5 -4
Are___ you_ going___ to_ Scar__ bo rough_ Fair?_____R

Eleanor Rigby has such an unusual rhythem to follow, it was easier for me to tab it in my head by doing the above strokes to keep track of the timing and rhythem.

Out of the two you did, the 2nd is probably the easiest to read, but I bet it will confuss the beginners who aren't familar with sheet music and terms like "half-notes," rests, and such.

I think what helps the most, is simply including a midi file with the tabbed song. You did that with Scarborough Fair, and as soon as I heard the midi, I reconized the tune and was able to play it right off. It's a lovely melody, by the way. (smile))

I hoped my input helped.

~always Maria.

Re: Tabbing Methods
Posted by: pharpy (---.sip.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 05, 2005 09:25PM

Well...the understroke I only use on the forum to make sure everything spaces out properly. Normally, the forum will only show one space between letters no matter how many you put. Technically, you can fix this by using the html code &nbsp; (which stands for Non-breaking space), but it's quicker to just hit the underscore key.

(There are 15 spaces before the number 15, you just can't see them).

(I used &nbsp; to add&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;6 spaces before the number 6)

(It was much faster to merely put_____5 underscores in front of the number 5 rather than 5 &nbsp;'s.)

You don't have to do this when entering tabs into the site because the setup has been made to show all characters entered since there is a character limitation.

Oh, BTW, you did answer my question....basically, I'm trying to get too complicated with it. Best to follow the K.I.S.S. principle!

Post Edited (11-05-05 17:29)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.