Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
Man With a Harmonica by Morricone...
Posted by: johnnycrulez (---.58.89.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: September 03, 2010 06:23PM

I wanted to start a topic to talk about the subtleties of playing that wonderful harmonica "riff" from that Morricone song. The tabs up here are good and got me started on finding that sound but I was hoping maybe someone here more qualified could listen to that song and give me so advice for seeking that sound - I can't find it. My bends are good and it sounds cool but it want to actually sound like in the song - ya know.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Man With a Harmonica by Morricone...
Posted by: gene (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: September 04, 2010 12:48AM

The closest I could come to it on a diatonic is on a D harp. The notes are E, Eb and C (-4, -4' and -3') Somehow, that C (-3') just doesn't sound crisp enough to match the recording. You might substitute C# (-3), but that isn't right.

One of the tabbers said it was done originally on a chromatic. On a C chromatic, that E is a blow note, but in the recording, that E is the one that keeps getting bent down to Eb, so I don't know what key chromatic is used.

Besides all that, if you want to sound like that, you'll need and amp and delay...Or go to a tunnel to play.

Post Edited (2010-09-03 21:17:57)

Posted by: FroggyGM (---.3-1.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: October 04, 2010 07:14PM

Hi Johnny,
what You must not forget is that on the Original track it's not just the harmonica that creates the atmosphere in the song. It's also the way the accompaniment works with the harmonica, brings it out into a world of it's own. And there's another thing too, when You hear Yourself play it could sound different from what Your audience can hear, especially if You are pursuing perfectionism in trying to find "the Ultimate" in yourself and hearing mostly what You think isn't just perfect yet...... You are better than you think is what I'm trying to say.

Posted by: mog108 (---.ipaper.com)
Date: October 31, 2010 12:37PM

I don't reckon I've ever heard what you're referring to, but the little 4 note riff Bronson supposedly plays in the saloon is pretty easy on a G harp. 6d, 5d, 6d bent, then slowly raise it up to a regular 6d.

Posted by: TIN_MAN (---.bla801.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: January 22, 2011 10:40AM

i'll give you what you want in one word!!

EMBOUCHURE!!!!!!

the answer is easy getting though... is a whole other thing!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.