Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
Dumb Newb Question
Posted by: LackofDiscipline (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2010 09:30AM

Hey guys (and gals) - here's THE dumbest question of the week. So i am new to the Harp and i like the tabs that I see - BUT - I have no friggin idea how to read the tabs???? what does -3 mean vs *3? etc etc...

Is there a main post that gives me a key to follow for the tabs? I've played guitar and bass most of my life and They include tab notations with the tabs. Or do these and i just missed 'em like the placenta stinking newb I am?

Any help or light in the dark would help this poor misguided soul smiling smiley

In advance Thank you.....Andy

Ps- any harp players out my way I'd love to meet up and learn some stuff in person....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dumb Newb Question
Posted by: cjd (---.perm.iinet.net.au)
Date: December 17, 2010 11:10AM

Hi Andy,

Firstly, welcome.

Secondly, the following is in the "Tab Guide" I found on the main menu. I think it is what you are after.

+ = blow note
- = draw note
b or ' = halfstep bend
bb or '' = two halfstep bend
bbb or ''' = three halfstep bends
(###) = chords (relevant hole numbers placed within parentheses)
< = means push the button in (for chromatic harmonica tabs)
Example: On a C harp, there are 4 draw notes on hole 3 (-3=B, -3'=Bb,
-3''=A, -3'''=Ab)

Others may chip in and add some more info especially about the bends, half steps and other things. In short "-" you draw, nothing or "+" you blow on the corresponding numbered hole on the harmonica.

Hope this helps.

CD

Posted by: cjd (---.perm.iinet.net.au)
Date: December 17, 2010 11:18AM

By the way Andy,

I was not a dumb question and you would need to be in Australia to meet up with me, but I don’t think I would be much good to you. I believe I am still hopeless on this magical instrument. Still, I have fun with it annoying the dog, cat, children and wife.

When they stop closing the door on me, I will consider my skills good enough to take out to the world. For now, it's outside with the dog on the porch.

Good luck

Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (76.251.185.---)
Date: December 17, 2010 03:20PM

It's not a dumb question! Different tabbers use different notations. For example, some use parentheses ( ) to indicate the button to be pushed in on a chromatic, others use a less than sign <, while others, like myself, use an asterisk *. (I prefer the * as it doesn't take up as much space, but that's just me....)

A "draw" (breath in - don't suck) is usually indicated by a negative sign -. "Blow" (breath out) is indicated by either a + or nothing. HOWEVER, that's not a universal! Some individuals use pluses and minuses just the opposite way! Keep in mind if you visit a different website, things may be different. So, that being said (okay, typed) usually at the beginning of the tab, or located somewhere on the site itself, is a key to the symbols used. Locate that and it'll help you figure out the rest.

Otherwise, cjd hit the nail on the head.

Posted by: TIN_MAN (---.bla801.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: January 22, 2011 10:39AM

go throught his forums history and see the illustrious company you are in!!

by no means a dumb question and the same "dumb question" gets asked here every week for the 4 years ive been here!!!

btw there are and have been even dumber questions than that!! (by your defintion of dumb not ours!!)

otherwise keep in mind different folk use different ways of explaning their tabs

if you stick to the tabs of thE top 15 you will be the best hands this site has to offer, and we all explain (often in detail and provide legends for you to follow)

ENJOY AND WELCOME!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.