Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
Playing backwards
Posted by: gsatgdo (---.234.30.109.Dial1.Miami1.Level3.net)
Date: October 13, 2005 07:11PM

Ever since I started playing the harmonica, I have been holding it so that the low notes ( number one hole is to my right). It seems like everyone else is playing it the other way around ( low notes to the left). I don't know why it would make any difference, the hole numbers come out the same, no matter which way it is oriented. I can play this way without any problems, and if I try to switch it is impossable for me to play because I am so used to playing that way. So are there any disadvantages to playing this way? And are there any other players who do this? or am I the only oddball.
Irv.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Playing backwards
Posted by: pharpy (---.sip.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 13, 2005 10:27PM

My only question would be do you hold the harp in your left hand and fan with your right (as most people who play with the low numbers on the left do), or do you hold it in your right hand and fan with your left (which is the "proper" way if you put the low notes on the right)?

Ultimately, playing the harmonica is about what works for you. Technically, the low notes on the left is correct because (with some exceptions - left-handed models being the primary ones) all musical instruments that run left to right have the notes arranged low on the left to high on the right.

Posted by: gsatgdo (---.234.45.165.Dial1.Miami1.Level3.net)
Date: October 14, 2005 03:06AM

I hold the harmonica in my right hand and fan with my left, with the low notes on my right. This works for me, however my concern is that if I should teach someone who is a beginner, should I teach them to have the low notes on the left side? It might be harder for me to instruct, but then again if the student is facing me and we play together then we would be moving in the same directions. ( I think)
Irv.

Posted by: pharpy (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 14, 2005 12:56PM

Just curiously, Irv, are you left handed?

In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't make any difference, and there are those who play professionally with the harp "upside down," but in theory, it's always better to teach the correct way than the way that suits your personal preference.

Posted by: gsatgdo (---.234.30.184.Dial1.Miami1.Level3.net)
Date: October 14, 2005 03:48PM

I am right handed

Posted by: pharpy (---.sip.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 14, 2005 06:33PM

Normally it's us lefties that do strange stuff like play the harmonica "upside down," but I guess it's whatever works for you. Like I said earlier, if you want to get technical, there is a right and wrong way to do it, but all that really matters is to do what works for you. If you can play better with the low notes on the right, keep on with it. The harmonica police aren't going to come knocking on your door and carry you off for not playing with the low notes on the left.

Post Edited (10-14-05 15:34)

Posted by: dstaats (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: October 15, 2005 05:45AM

lol good anwser Frank.

I got a funny story about unside down harmonica's...

I recently bid & won a vintage Marine Band, complete with old cardboard box with Marine Band stamp & original paper instuctions on ebay... And get this, somebody had glued the metal plates to the wrong sides of the comb. The high keys were on the left low key on the right! It was glued together very well. It holds air & plays okay, but dang, it felt all backwards to me. lol

The seller (someone who happens to be from my home state of WA) was kind enough to refund my money & let me keep the harp. So, I put the odd instrument out for display... it is vintage, after all, & it does make an interesting converstation peice. (giggle)))

And Irv, you just do what works right for you... Granted, it's weird, but weird is all the rage! (wink, grin)))

~always Maria.

Post Edited (10-15-05 02:48)

Posted by: pharpy (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 17, 2005 02:18PM

Well, in order to play it properly, just play it with the numbers on the bottom! There are some harps out there that don't even have numbers on them.

Date: October 17, 2005 02:40PM

lol that's true Frank.

that made me think that Irv could feasibly remove & switch the plates around (like my vintage harp) and not be playing upside now anymore! hehehe

Date: October 22, 2005 02:36AM

Hey Irv (smile)))

I was on another harmonica forum and someone mentioned that a successful blues harmonica pro, Sonny Terry, plays unside down, high keys to the left. So, you might be on to something there...

~always Maria.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.