Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
instrument transfer
Posted by: blue32 (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 17, 2005 08:46PM

this is something that i figured out the other day. A key of c harmonica works perfectly for transfering music to the trumpet(which i also play). I also found out that that it works backwards too trumpet sheet music can transfered to teh harmonica. Speaking of which is their a way to post sheet music on the sight.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: instrument transfer
Posted by: pharpy (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 19, 2005 01:56AM

If you would take your tabs that you wrote from your sheet music, and without changing the numbers, play the tab you wrote on a Bb harmonica, it would be the exact same notes as playing it on the trumpet.

Right now, (Nick can correct me if I'm wrong,) there's no way to post sheet music on this site, just tabs.

Post Edited (09-18-05 22:57)

Posted by: djlactose (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 19, 2005 03:28AM

That is correct, to post sheet music would be very difficult.

Date: September 19, 2005 01:32PM

In case you are wondering what I meant by my previous post, let me explain:

Trumpet music is written in the key of C, and you play based on that key, however, as I'm sure you know, the key of C on the trumpet is actually the key of Bb on the piano. When you play a harmonica that is in the key of C, the #4 blow is middle C, both on the harp and on the piano.

Harmonicas are not like other instruments, in that they actually correlate the notes being played to the matching note on the piano, no matter the key of the harp. Therefore, if you were to play sheet music for a Bb harp, the music would be written out in the key of Bb. Most other instruments are tuned to their own scale, which starts at C irregardless of the actual key of the instrument. Trumpets & Bb clarinets, for instance, are in the key of Bb when put to a piano, so in order to play in Bb with a piano, the trumpet has to play in C.

If harmonicas would be treated like other instruments, then the notes on a standard 10-hole diatonic would always be referred to as 1=LC, -1=LD, 2=LE, -2 & 3=G, -3=B, 4=C, -4=D, 5=E, -5=F, 6=HG, -6=HA, -7=HB, 7=HC, -8=HD, 8=HE, -9=HF, 9=HG, -10=HA, 10=2HC, irregardless of the actual key of the harmonica, and you would just know that to play in Bb, you needed to play in the key of C on a Bb harp or in the key of G (2nd position) on an Eb harp. (My definition of high and low (H & L) is based solely on the arrangements of the standard harmonica keys, with G being the lowest and F# being the highest.)

For those of us who don't quite have a solid grip on music theory, it's a good thing that harmonicas aren't treated like other instruments, because it'd take us too long to figure that out. (Took me almost 10 years from the time I started trying to learn & ultimately gave up on the Bb french horn.)

Posted by: dstaats (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: September 20, 2005 02:04PM

Gee Frank, if I could, I'd save everything you write regarding music! It's most fasinating! lol

Seriously, you make alot of sense. Did you ever take a music reading class or did you figure it out for yourself in the last 10 years? I would eventually love to take a class being offered at my local college on music reading & theories.

On a side note, I picked up a chromatic (Korg CA-30) tuner yesterday. It's a fun toy & helps me judge what note I'm playing when I bend a note down or overblow a key up. For instance, on my C harp, I know that I can get an F (the 5th draw) key to bend down to a Bb note. (grin))) Fasinating stuff! (wink, grin))))

Thanx for your input Frank. As always, I do enjoy reading what you have to say! (smile)))

~always Maria.

Date: September 20, 2005 02:59PM

zephyrazure wrote:

> .... Did you ever take a music reading class or did you figure it out for
> yourself...?

I haven't taken any music reading classes, but I did take piano classes. I also tried to learn to play the Bb French Horn, but that was before the piano. Quite honestly, I didn't learn a thing about music theory while in band (which is where I tried to learn the French Horn), and it wasn't until well after I had quit piano (as in after I got married--my wife plays the Bb clarinet) that I realized that not all musical instruments are tuned to the same key, and that a C on a trumpet, violin, & piano, were not the same thing (unless of course you were talking about concert C, but that's another, although related, topic). It wasn't until recently (as in since about 2 years ago) that the small amount of theory I learned while taking piano lessons has even started to make sense. I still know very little in the grand scheme of musical knowledge, but I've probably doubled, if not tripled, what I knew before, so ultimately, personal research and experience has taught me far more (as is usually the case) than any lessons I ever attended.

Posted by: dstaats (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: September 22, 2005 03:20PM

Artistically, I've learned MORE out of the classroom than I've ever learned in school. (smile))) In my opinion, personal experiences counts for much in this life. Of course, convincing my kids of this, is another story! lol

It's good to read that the piano is soo simalar to harmonicas in tuning. I also would like to learn to play the piano. I told my husband that in about a year, that's the next instrument I'd like to start learning.

I swear in such a stressful world, music is the one thing that keeps me sane. It's my best "outlet," & I can't get enough of it. (serene smile)))

~always Maria.

Posted by: almosthuman (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: September 25, 2005 08:56PM

In passing..

There is a website called 8notes.com, which has sheet music, and they also have software which apparently writes sheet music from a midi file, or makes a midi file from sheet music, but I haven't tried it.

I find I'm using sheet music more and more - for instance I've tabbed "Stranger on the Shore" from sheet music and it sounds fabulous on the harmonica, especially when played when apparently alone in thought, but actually for the benefit of people sitting just in earshot.

Everyone listens carefully and thinks I'm deep.

I'd post it, but I'd need a midi file of it to make sense of it and I haven't got one. If someone else can come up with one I'll post it.

I'm working on Ravel's Bolero now. When I've done it all, I'll be fascinated to see whether by playing the notes either side of the correct one I can increase the sense of orchestra for the second time through, yet still hold the tune.

Of course playing Ravel's Bolero on a harmonica would be akin to the famous poodle walking on it's hind legs - the truly impressive thing is not that it is done well (it isn't) but that it is done at all!

Cheers

Robin
England

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.