Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
need some input please
Posted by: dstaats (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: August 04, 2005 11:54PM

Hi all...

I got my Hohner Special 20 (Marine Band) Harmonica in key C today. I bought it from musiciansfriend.com at a compatible price. I really like the sound & feel of this harp. I've been breakin' it in slow, like the books say.

My question is: have any of you gotten a harp out of the box that had a key that sounded flat? The draw on the 2 hole (G) sounds more like I'm suckin' air through a deflated balloon. All other key holes draw perfectly. Is there any tricks of the trade to remedy this problem?

I'd appreciate any input. I'm still very much a novice and am not sure what to expect sometimes. (smile))) The good news is the 2 hole isn't one I need to play very often, so it's not hindering me too much at this point. (grin)))

Happy Harpin'

~always Maria.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: need some input please
Posted by: djlactose (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 05, 2005 03:38AM

You don't really have to break in a harmonica that is a myth. It is possible that one of your reeds has been damaged or is defective. My suggest would be to take it to your local music store or contact Hohner and ask about sending it to them.

Date: August 05, 2005 05:06AM

hi (smile) thanx for responding. I think you're correct, in that, I have a defective reed. (sigh))) All other key holes are very responsive, but it's still a little disappointing. I'm going to try to exchange it.

One of the reasons I picked musiciansfriends is because of their 45 day policy to return or exchange. I'll try their 800 # tomorrow and see if they stand by it. I'll keep ya posted... (wink, grin)))

~always Maria.

Posted by: pharpy (---.sip.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 05, 2005 05:12PM

While on the whole, you do not have to break in harmonicas, new unstressed metal sounds different than slightly fatigued metal. Some harps (the Special 20 isn't one of them) are kind of stiff & unresponsive when they are brand new, but as you use them, they loosen up and the tone improves, and bending notes becomes easier. Also, if you warm up your harp first (far more important in my opinion than breaking in), it helps. Play simple tunes, scales or simply blow and draw through all the holes for a brief bit before beginning play. As any brass or woodwind player will tell you, a cold instrument doesn't play as well as a warm one. Tone and volume are at their best (and easiest to control) when the instrument has been warmed up. The same is true for a harmonica.

If you aren't having any problems with any other holes besides the #2, then I'd have to agree that you probably have a problem with the harp. Usually if it's something you are doing wrong, more than just one hole won't sound right.

Date: August 06, 2005 04:02PM

hi (grin)))

You people are awesome! The reponses I got have been very helpful. Especially the info about not really having to "break in" my harmonica. Instead, "warming up" my harp is truly the trick to making the beautiful tones come out! It really works!

MusciansFriends.com are making things right. They have promised to credit my account the money I spent on the bum Special 20, I ended up with. And, I would still recommend that company to anybody because of their 45 day guarantee. In fact, I turned around and ordered another harp & a leather harp carry case from MuscianFriends. (wink, grin)))

In the meantime, I went out and bought a harmonica locally. I'm now the proud owner of a Hohner Marine Band. It's very similar to the S20, but different, in that it has a wooden frame & the holes are smaller. The tone is amazingly "mellowed," & I'm liking it very much. (happy dance)))

Thanx again for the benefit of all your experience... you people are the best!

Happy Harpin'

~always Maria.

Posted by: pharpy (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 08, 2005 02:28PM

I use the Hohner Marine band almost exclusively, and you are correct. The Special 20 and the Marine Band are almost identical. The only real difference is the plastic comb of the Special 20.

Wooden comb harmonicas, like wooden clarinets, have a warmer sound than their plastic counterparts. The average person, however, under normal conditions probably wouldn't be able to (and most likely can't) tell the difference, Plastic harmonicas tend to be favored because they are more comfortable to play, don't swell and/or warp, and tend to be more airtight, thus providing better responsiveness when bending and a louder sound. I personally prefer the warmer sound of the wood over the brighter sound of the plastic, but there are some valid points to using plastic over wood, and there are at least 2 (the Suzuki BluesMaster and the Hohner Golden Melody) plastic comb harmonicas that I would rank higher overall than the Hohner Marine Band, even though my personal preference is the Marine Band.

Date: August 08, 2005 07:11PM

hi again.... (smile)))

I noticed that the holes are a tad more narrower on the 1896 Hohner Marine Band than the Special 20. You'd think that would make it difficult to play, but it's actually easier (for this beginner) to play single notes more clearly on the Marine Band. And after playing the Marine Band, I'll pick up the S20 and play it more smoothly too. (grin)))

I can hear the difference in the 2 harmonicas and agree with you, that the Marine Band sounds much "warmer." I'd call the wooden comb, "a more mellowed tone."

Thanx for the input... This is all good stuff for me. (grinning from ear to ear))))

~always Maria.

P.S.: pcguyiv, do the wooden combs swell (or give you problems) that much on the Marine Bands?

Posted by: pharpy (---.sip.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 09, 2005 04:57PM

>
> P.S.: pcguyiv, do the wooden combs swell (or give you problems)
> that much on the Marine Bands?
>

A lot of the swelling of the wood depends on how much you play it. They will swell slightly over time, but you can avoid major problems by making sure you always shake it out after you are done and playing with a clean & relatively dry mouth. Also, make sure it dries thoroughly before putting it away in a closed case, especially if you've been playing for a long time. Even if it does swell some, it won't necessarily affect the performance of the harp.

Another tip that some say works, but I'm not too sure, is to use a hair dryer on the lowest temperature setting to help air dry the harp faster.

Post Edited (08-09-05 13:59)

Posted by: djlactose (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 10, 2005 03:06AM

No matter what type of harmonica you have it is always good to shake it out and to make sure you don't play after eating. Other wise your harmonica will have a build up which will affect the sound of the harp. If you keep your mouth dry and shake out the harmonica I don't think you really need to use a hair dryer. If you want to do the hair dryer to prevent swelling I would still be sure to shake out the harmonica to remove as much as possible before hand.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.