Harmonica Chat :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Come here to talk all about harmonicas. 
Just beginning
Posted by: blue32 (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 30, 2005 05:26AM

Hi i just started playing the harmonica and i am haveing a hard time finding the best place to start. I've found websites that go over breathing techniques and bending and things like that. The problem is though they just tell you how to do it they don't give you anything to practice and i was wondering if anybody had suggestions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Just beginning
Date: March 30, 2005 02:22PM

also i do't know if i am just doing it wrong or what but when i play my upper lip gets rubbed raw. if anyone knows a solution to this problem i would appreciate it.

Posted by: djlactose (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 30, 2005 06:53PM

My guess is you aren't wetting you lips enough before playing. You may even want to lick the harmonica before playing. Also try to play slower until you aren't sore after playing. When I started playing I did have the same problem but after playing for a while it went away. I would just stop when my mouth got tired or my lip was sore. I would recommend some of the smaller tabs to start out with. I used to practice with TAPs because it was nice and easy (within a short period of time you should be able to get it) and I knew exactly how it sounds. On this site their are two different taps versions the second one tells you where to hold.

Date: March 31, 2005 01:16AM

Thanks for the tip. I will be sure to try it. I can play taps pretty well and can do most of home on the range but i don't now where to go next. Also i have a hohner pocket pal which i know isnt very good and i am looking at buying a new one and was wondering what would be a good one to get and where is the best place to buy one. Thanks again for the tips.

Date: March 31, 2005 05:23AM

I use a Hohner Special 20 Marine Band harmonica and I love it. There are a lot of stores out there, I used [www.turboharp.com] and I was happy with them, but there could easily be better stores you can select.

Date: March 31, 2005 05:33AM

thanks a lot and you have done a great job with this website.

Date: March 31, 2005 05:37AM

also would it be a good idea to stick with key of c

Date: March 31, 2005 06:19PM

Thank you for you remarks on the website. I put a lot of work into it and always am glad to here people appreciate it. I use the Key C but it all really depends on what you want to play.

Date: April 01, 2005 04:20AM

just one last question. I can play taps and home on the range pretty well and can play part of piano man but what would be the next step up? thanks again for all the advice.

Date: April 01, 2005 07:55PM

If you are good with those, I would say you are ready to move onto just about anything. Work on bending and overblowing.

Date: April 01, 2005 11:29PM

thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.