Lessons :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have a tip that you want to share? Put it here. 
call me if you teach for free
Posted by: foxymojo (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: April 01, 2011 05:34AM

I am semi-beginner...actually started playing last May 2010.

Been a blast playing the harp!!! I could play about 10 songs. 4 of which I played without having tabs for starters. I think I'm doing great.

Please call me if you can teach me how to bend. I want a fellow harp enthusiast that is kind enough to guide me.

Im a nice lady, polite and willing to learn from a Harmonica afficionado!!!

I will tell you my cellular number if you are a nice person too.

I am from California... in my 30's.

Hoping to get many responses=>

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: call me if you teach for free
Posted by: gene (---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: April 01, 2011 07:03AM

To bend the draw notes (1-6), slowly articulate the word "you" (perhaps to an exagerated extent) until you find that spot where it bends (then practice hitting that spot right on target). The lower the hole, the more you have to drop your jaw.

That "you" thing is what helped me. I had been articulating "oh" and my tone was bad and I couldn't quite get the pitch low enoigh.

To bend the blow notes (8-10), articulate like you're whistling a high note.

Don't even think about asking me about overblows and overdraws. I can't do those and can't tell you how to try.

Note:
The 5 draw can only be bent a quarter tone, and shouldn't be done a lot. It's hard on the reed. There are no bends on 7 draw or 7 blow.

P.S.
Don't mistake me for an afficionado. Settle for "enthusiast." I'm not versed in harp anywhere near enough to give lessons, but I offer tips on this forum now and then. The tip I gave above is from a David Barrett DVD. He IS an afficionado.

Posted by: Mike63 (122.107.111.---)
Date: March 13, 2013 08:40AM

Foxymojo? You've got to be from California.
If I was 20 yrs younger and lived near you I would definately be passing myself off as an afficionado!
Of course that would mean not putting the harp anywhere near my mouth.

I've very recently learned to lip block. I was tounge blocking before but now I'm doin it with my lip it really opens up the bending possibilities.
I tried and tried and its like these guys keep telling us " it'll come to ya".
I find relaxing your top lip and just pursing your bottom lip works pretty well.Then drop your jaw and pull your tounge back.
Give it a go, just like you should give all the advice on this site a go.

And in the end "it'll come to ya"

Cheers
Mike

Posted by: Mike63 (122.107.111.---)
Date: March 14, 2013 05:33AM

That's funny!!!the finger smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.