Lessons :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have a tip that you want to share? Put it here. 
Blues
Posted by: forevergrunge (---.bloomington.k12.mn.us)
Date: January 04, 2005 03:49PM

This is just some random things I would like to suggest (or teach). Please reply.
When playing at a concert I think that it's better to use the Hohner blues blaster 1490 versus the green bullet. Number one the blues blaster looks better. Number two the blues blaster 1490 is cheaper than the green bullet. Number three it sounds better. So in other words if your gonna buy a harp mic, use the blues blaster. Please reply

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blues
Posted by: jakob (213.55.91.---)
Date: March 11, 2005 04:13PM

hi
i don`t have a
but can you give me som free begining blues songs
because i want to learn blues
what does a hohner blues blaster 1490 versus the green bullet cost?

thanks

Jakob

Posted by: IndianaZephyr (12.153.207.---)
Date: February 06, 2006 03:24AM

i'm dying to learn the blues too

Posted by: sully (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: February 12, 2006 02:09AM

Blues Blaster - is a cystal element mic . It is basede on the old astatic mics.
a very airtight cupping of the hands is crucial for the thick sound.

New Green Bullit 520dx is a dynamic mic like a vocal mic

older green bullits use a controlled magnetic element

oldest green bullits have controlled reluctance elements

There are also bullit mic that use ceramic elements and sound great.

REMEBER MICS AND AMPS DO NOT PROVIDE THE BLUES TONE . THE PLAYER AND GOOD TONGUE BLOCKING IS THE KEY. The amp will only make bad tone louder.

Posted by: baobenh (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: September 21, 2006 07:32PM

woah, hold on there Sully.

Most of the tone comes from the player, no doubt about that. But tongue blocking isn't by any means the only way to achieve good tone. I'm primarily not a tongue blocker (but not pucker either), and in spite of that I often get complimented on my tone, although I'm certainly no pro.

Here's a short list of pros with excellent tone who use non-TB embouchures or a mix of TB and other embouchures:

Jason Ricci
Paul Butterfield
Charlie Musselwhite
Jerry Portnoy
Norton Buffalo

I'm sure there are many others, but that's who I came up with off the top of my head. Good amplified tone comes out of good acoustic tone, and that has a lot to do with learning to optimize your internal resonance for whatever note you're playing, regardless of what embouchure you use.

And a tip for people who are just starting out, don't worry too much about gear early on, just get something that'll get the job done for the time being. High end gear really won't make you sound any better in the beginning. Later on, AFTER you've developed pretty good acoustic tone, you'll find that a really nice rig can actually make a big difference. I've been using my Blues Blaster and Fender Blues Jr for 2 years now, and for the most part I like my tone with that setup. But over the summer I got to sit in with another band and use their harp player's $2 grand custom harp amp and that was amazing. A top-notch amp and mic will capture every subtle thing that you do and magnify it, helping you to add depth and variety to your playing, instead of taking away options that you would have while playing acoustic...even more reason to develop the acoustic chops to take advantage of that.

Posted by: soeder (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: November 20, 2006 04:29AM

you could always make your own mic. I made an I-mic and i absolutley love it. It's even been compared to other pro mics and rated better than quite a few of the $100+ mics.

[www.planetharmonica.com]

Posted by: Mitchell_Harmonica (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 24, 2006 08:29PM

Wow thanks, I haven't gotten to using mics yet but when I do I'll keep that in mind. Just a question. What are the major advantages of a harp mic over a standard microphone?

Mitch

Post Edited (11-24-06 15:29)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.