Lessons :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have a tip that you want to share? Put it here. 
Spot the tip
Posted by: harmusman (---.hari.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: August 25, 2010 10:09AM

As we Harpists learn on the numbering system that is impressed on the upper side of our instruments (on most instruments) and most songs seem to start around the 5 & 6 hole for those not so good sighted in a dark room I found it was very helpful to put a spot of red nail varnish on the top cover at the 6 hole position. You can then dive straight in knowing where 6 hole is and 5 to its left 7 to its right and so on. no more laborious counting of holes before you start. When your more proficient the varnish just flicks of if you rub it with your fingernail.

Post Edited (2010-08-25 06:11:34)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spot the tip
Posted by: God (---.80-203-226.nextgentel.com)
Date: August 26, 2010 08:07PM

I used to switch the coverplates upside down so that I no longer could rely on numberings. Made me learn what's where a whole lot faster.

Posted by: harmusman (---.hari.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: August 27, 2010 10:16AM

Very clever, God you must have been a quick learner, but how many times did you dive in and find you were playing in the wrong end of the harp and had to make the embarrasing adjustment in front of friends but I guess if the great Sonny Boy Williamson the second can do this and get round it with a smile and a chuckle as he did, I'm sure you did.

Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (76.251.190.---)
Date: August 27, 2010 02:19PM

harmusman wrote:

> ...but how many times did you dive in and find you were playing in the wrong end of the harp and had to make the embarrassing adjustment in front of friends....

It's happens to the best of 'em... Even happened to Billy Joel... on Piano Man, no less. And, yes, he just smiled, chuckled, turned his harp over, re-rigged it, then blamed it on his sound man.

It is an odd little quirk of our instrument.

Posted by: gene (---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: August 27, 2010 04:35PM

I have yet to see anybody start playing the wrong end of a saxaphone.

Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (76.251.190.---)
Date: August 28, 2010 01:56AM

I thought about the same thing except with an oboe instead...

Posted by: God (---.80-203-226.nextgentel.com)
Date: August 29, 2010 07:32PM

Gene, you made me chuckle!

Harmusman, I still do it, everyday! It's nothing to worry about smiling smiley

Another tip is to cover up the key marking on harps you have in more than one key. I only have two harps of the same model, and even though I haven't covered up the key markings, I always make it a strict rule to play and try to figuere out which is which before I look. It's a great way to practice the ear!

Post Edited (2010-08-29 15:32:54)

Posted by: railjumper (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: November 26, 2010 04:16AM

I put a sticker (like you use to price things in a garage sale) on the back of my harp. Always on the same end and mark it with a sharpy what key it is. All i have to do is look at the back and know which way to turn it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.