Lessons :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have a tip that you want to share? Put it here. 
I want to learn single notes
Posted by: smoelschuif (---.direct-adsl.nl)
Date: June 22, 2010 03:28PM

Hi, my problem is that i can't blow or draw single notes. I want to learn this very much!!! ive tried the method of JP Allen but then I still dont make single notes. Am i doing something wrong, I dont understand.
Please Reply

greets,
smoelschuif

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I want to learn single notes
Posted by: Werkis2 (95.68.90.---)
Date: June 22, 2010 06:57PM

Well im not best person for advices but , yup for me single notes to took while, since i couldent whistle but in time some how i managed to play single notes by my self without outer help , just lisent, play, lisent, ok sound correct - go to mirror make lips in O shape try to blow / draw watch out from 2 and 3 draw - or use word you - for beginers - like i am still for 1 - 1,5 year smiling smiley he im not takeing harp seriously but i have 9 harps in drawer lying .

Find some good melody wich you know very well play it 1000 times till you get ridd of hising sound . play 1 - to 10 blow jsut try try trry never give up

also correct breathing, words you say trought harp, mouth jaw positions to much stuff .......

ok wait for others advices im not right person to give lessons but i jsut share my personal experience ... and my english is crap ///

greetings & wellcom aboard ....

Posted by: gene (---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: June 22, 2010 09:18PM

You know how you fix your lips when you're blowing eraser dust off a sheet of paper? Well, that's not how you fix your lips when you play harmonica.

Now picture this: You have a delicious, cold, thick milk shake and you're thirsty for it. Draw through the straw. See how your lips and jaw are fixed? Now stick a harmonica there.

Posted by: IanKnights (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: July 04, 2010 05:49PM

Excellent visualisation advice Gene!!

Practice blowing into hole 1, concentrating on getting just one sound. Try reducing the size of your lips if you get dual sound until only a single note is heard and then move up to hole 2 etc until reaching hole 10. It really is a matter of practice, but use Gene's tip as it should create a good embouchure, which will generate single notes for you. Once you have the hang of it going up/down the harp using either blow/draw will become second nature.

Most importantly, practice, practice, practice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.