Lessons :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have a tip that you want to share? Put it here. 
Learning Notes
Posted by: kovar34 (---.skrecc.com)
Date: December 03, 2009 11:46PM

Hello all,

I have been playin the harp for a while now and i got the basic down, as far as a single note, blow and the draw. What i am having some problems with is the keys, and the note. i have a C harp, and when i am looking up tabs on here i look up ones that are in a key of C. With the C harp what other keys can i play. I plan on getting some more harps, and wounder, one which keys should i get, and two any sugguestion on which brand to get would help

thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Learning Notes
Posted by: gene (---.ded.swbell.net)
Date: December 04, 2009 12:26AM

You can use any key harp to play any tab. If you use your C harp to play a song tabbed for a G harp, for example, you would still be playing the same melody, but in a different pitch.

Which keys to buy? Check out the "Where to go from C" thread that was posted yesterday under the "Lessons" section of the forum.

Which brand? Each of us have our favorite. Justice (username) wrote a great review of various harps. Check out "Harp brands rated" in the "Reviews" section.

Posted by: kovar34 (166.216.192.---)
Date: December 04, 2009 03:07AM

So then the all the tabs work with all the harps?

Posted by: gene (---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 04, 2009 03:25AM

All the diatonic tabs work with all diatonic harps unless the tab is for minor diatonics or Melody Maker, so the answer is yes...99% of the time.

(Tremelo and chromatic tabs won't work, either.)

But once again, while the melody will be the same, the pitch will be off. So playing any tab with any harp will work if you're playing by yourself. If you're playing with somebody else or with a CD, you'll need the right key harp.

Post Edited (2009-12-03 22:26:31)

Date: December 04, 2009 03:35AM

So in order for the song to sound right i need to have the key that the song is tab in. But i can pratice using my C harp. All the tabs that are a minor are labled that way. Which harp do i need to play a song in a minor

Date: December 04, 2009 05:19AM

Just look in the tab to see what kind of harp it's tabbed for.
There are Natural Minor tuned harps. Songs tabbed for those won't work on a Major (standard) harp....I think.

I'm not sure what your question means "...play a song in a minor
...? Did you mean "in a minor key" or "in Am?" Either way, I can't answer that. I'd have to know what notes are in the particular song.

Date: December 04, 2009 01:12PM

Sorry, i ment in a minor key. But you answerd that question by telling me that there are minor keyed harp. Is there a minor key harp for every key harp? Example a C minor harp, G minor harp and so on.

Posted by: WaltP (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 04, 2009 03:15PM

I know that all the songs I've tabbed in a minor key for the diatonic are played on a regular diatonic, as I don't own a minor diatonic.

Date: December 05, 2009 12:44AM

I don't know too much about this "minor" stuff. I don't have any minor harps, either. They must be useful for something, but they don't seem to be necessary.

This gets weird, now. If this is Greek to you, don't worry about it:
If you want to play minor blues with a major harp, look at the circle of fifths. Lets say the song is in Gm. Don't look for the Gm on the circle; just look for the G. Usually, the best bet is to play the minor blues in 3rd position, so for Gm blues, play the F harp. (I don't understand how that works. I just know it's so.)

Minor harps

Posted by: Baska88 (---.midd.cable.ntl.com)
Date: December 05, 2009 12:04PM

have you read the book harmonica for dummies i found it really easy to read and follow. the author goes over the qustions you ask and in really plain english, including the circle of fifths which i didnt have a clue about til i read thehis book. also every book or guide you read will advise you to learn and practice in C harp. the only time i dont use my C harp is when i play with my band, and then i just use what ever the song key is, i must say i have only been playing for 9 months, and thought i would never be able to get the hang of it and didnt have a clue what i was reading but i pressed on and now am in a band and have played 2 gigs

Posted by: kovar34 (---.mobile.mymmode.com)
Date: December 06, 2009 11:18PM

Thanks for all the help guys

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.