Lessons :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have a tip that you want to share? Put it here. 
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: tip on bending
Posted by: Kiss (---.imb.uq.edu.au)
Date: July 12, 2010 01:57AM

I practiced a lot this weekend and I realized that i put my tongue up against my palate in order to bend,
and that was the thing that 'blocked' my bend...

Now I put my tongue against my lower teeth and then I can get a new shape
for my tongue that allows me to have a clean F sound on 2 draw grinning smiley

However it's harder to get the Ab on 3 draw, but it sounds a lot better!
So i'll continue practice with this new technique,
I guess that will be easier to combine it with tongue blocking...

BTW it's easier for me to bend with a 'G' sound than a 'K'...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: pjd777 (78.147.165.---)
Date: September 26, 2010 12:58AM

Yes I tongue block as well and the wee sound works for me when T/blocking but you really need to consentrate when you do it other wise it doesnt come out quite right I sort of twist my mouth as I do the wee sound it works fine 4 me

Bending
Posted by: MobiusDick (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: April 25, 2011 05:19AM

I have found the easiest way to do a draw bend with the single hole technique is by pursing your lips on a single note (and start on the 3 hole as it is easiest to bend a whole step on, and with practice even 3 half steps becomes easy only on the 3 hole); then, pretend that you are sucking on a thick milkshake that is difficult to get through the straw. Before you know it you'll be bending like a pro.

Up until very recently, I really liked the Lee Oskar Harps the best as they were easy to bend on, but since Suzuki has come out with the Firebreath, the Manji and the Valved M350V, bending a whole step on any note draw or blow is like second nature with the milkshake analogy (the 7-10 were the only blow holes that were easy on the Lee Oskar with the reverse milkshake blow technique-even though many people will tell you blow 7 doesn't work, it always has for me.)

I realized how much my playing has improved with these new Suzuki harps(and the Hohner XB-40 is pretty good too although it is more expensive and larger than standard diatonics) when I was playing live with some people who I had never played with before-it was spur of the moment: I asked them if I could join them, and I only had three harps with me. I have no problem playing in cross harp, 3rd, 4th, 11th and 12th positions, but I needed a harp I didn't have -and I was nervous at first -but I realized I was bending so well I was playing in any key I wanted without any problems. I didn't even need to switch from the firebreath E harp or the Manji D to play any song I wanted to play. I got a standing ovation after a solo that I worried about playing because of the key. But i easily could make any note I wanted.

As far as bending on chromatics, it seems to me only Little Walter could do that. I've never owned a chrmatic that cost more than about $300, so maybe the $1200 chromatics are different, but bending (at least with my style) doesn't work on those-so stick with diatonics.

MobiusDick

Posted by: Yourfather (98.255.198.---)
Date: July 05, 2013 08:59PM

The easiest way to bend is when you draw (-)chose 2 or 3 low holes and breath in whaaaa-whaaaaaaaaaa that's called a train whistle bending notes on a c harp is hard I recommend a d or d flat harp on a c all I know is draw the note whaaaaa
So 555___555___564 -4 (whaaaa)5

Ps this is my first form post

Posted by: JerryVan (66.184.21.---)
Date: August 12, 2015 07:44AM

I am 51 years old and have owned harmonicas for about 15 or so years. Except for the last 2 months they sat for about 10 years. Long and short, without repeating a previous post, Just 2 days ago I finally learned to actually make true bends.

I was just about to write a serious letter to Adam Gussow and try to 2nd guess his assertion that it when it is done proplerly, there is no changing the lips.

I am in a rooming house. I am only saying this to demonstrate there is no deed to wail or torture yourself to get it right. Remember This is something I just now figured out where my mistake had been and what I am now doing right.

What I have been doing for years is what I would now describe a warping the note with the waaa waa or yaa yaa weeyaaa and such.

ALL of these thing ar actually worthwhile artifacts to use at the right times even though they are not proper bends.

The video that finally did it for me like dropping the penny into the arcade machine just right was from Jon Gindick

What works for me on the 3 hole to get all three is all in the mere difference of saying tee, kah, koo, kuh. My lips do not change in the least. I am not trying to say moving your jaw would be wrong because everyone is going to get it done a bit different. I can say that I am not only able to not change my lips but not change anything noticable except you can see between my chin and dam's apple there is a change.

The point I was making earlier about being in a rooming house is that I learned after 10 PM. The change is very slight but once you notice it pick up on what you did.

I think my slight variation with Jon's video should help.

Tipping it back helps me too

You should be able to play Mary Had a Little Lamb while only drawing on the 3 hole. There are 4 solid tones that you do not whine your way to. you click your way to them

Tee Kee Kah Koh seems to work for me on the 3rd hole C Hohner blues band

Nothing wrong with using tee th toh or dee dah doh - in fact you might be able to take advantage of those differences after getting the bend

This can be done without bothering people in the next room.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2015 10:51PM by JerryVan.

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.