Lessons :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have a tip that you want to share? Put it here. 
2nd hole draw
Posted by: thefinster (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: June 17, 2009 10:13AM

Hey there everyone,

Having heaps of hassle trying to "get" the 2nd hole draw!! have tried(and trying ) a few different tips but just cant seem to get it...frustrating stuff! have been mucking around with my harp for a few months on & off & enjoying it immensely but my attempts to learn riffs & licks are being held up by this ......so far trying to

1.Alter my "embouchere"
2.Look at the ceiling while inhaling
3.Various toungue positions

Any helpful tips or do I just need to keep going to it magically appears???

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2nd hole draw
Posted by: janx (---.nott.cable.ntl.com)
Date: June 17, 2009 11:00AM

Maybe you are trying too hard, I think sometimes when we start out and can't grasp something it gets to be an issue, try to relax and just take the air in lightly, as you would when you breath, don't suck it.

I'm sure it will come it just needs time and practice
good luck

Posted by: gene (---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: June 17, 2009 11:04AM

I'm stumped. With all the stuff you've tried over the past few months, it seems like you would have it. I don't know exactly what you've tried, but I have a hunch you've tried everything I would suggest. I never had a problem with the draw 2, so I can't give you a "this worked for me" story. I can only advise reading all the instructional material you can find on the web.

Usually, when a beginner says he can't get the draw 2, it's because of his technique, but maybe, just maybe it's the harp's fault this time. Bad reed? Dirty reed? A moustache hair or something in it? Open it up and look real close with a magnifying glass and bright light. Do you have another harp to try?

Good luck.

Posted by: ricanefan (---.metlife.com)
Date: June 17, 2009 05:22PM

One more thing to try, if you haven't already. With the same tongue position as you use to get a good 3 draw note, alter the volume of airflow from extremely light to moderate. If that doesn't work, and you use a different tongue position for a good 1 draw, repeat with that tongue position.

Another thought: is the reed clear of debris? What kind of harp? If it's something you can disassemble, try cleaning the 2 draw reed. (The draw reeds are the bottom reedplate). I use a soft toothbrush (with a very light touch, from the rivet out) and rubbing alcohol.

Good luck!

Posted by: thefinster (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: June 22, 2009 03:22PM

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the interest.Stumbled across a good Adam Gussow youtube lesson that may well of steered me out of a dark corner.......he has to many to mention on line & I'm sure you all know his work..anyways I'm back on track thanks

Posted by: Baska88 (---.midd.cable.ntl.com)
Date: September 27, 2009 02:35PM

i am in the same situation on 2 draw at the moment, all i get is very little or no note and air coming out of the sides no matter how much i pucker, i think this maybe me though. the thing is i have trouble with the 2 draw on a C harp but ok with the 2 draw on my G harp and have more trouble with the 3 draw on my G harp, this makes me think its me and not the harps, and i just need to keep trying. any help appreciated

Posted by: Werkis2 (78.84.185.---)
Date: October 12, 2009 01:22PM

Omg dudes i thought i was only one person having trouble with 2nd an 3th draw holes.

Posted by: Werkis2 (78.84.185.---)
Date: October 18, 2009 05:22PM

Thank You that "you" thing realy worked to me now i can play 2 and 3 draw, damn i throw away old plate but problem was in me sad smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.