Lessons :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have a tip that you want to share? Put it here. 
yet another 'bend' problem
Posted by: Askek (---.atm2-0-72217.0x573e2296.aaanxx2.customer.tele.dk)
Date: January 04, 2009 04:10PM

i feel like i have to use a lot of force to bend notes, too much force, which makes it really difficult to use bends in songs. And second; does anyone have a nice, slow and easy song to practice bends on? i was only able to find really hard ones.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: yet another 'bend' problem
Posted by: gene (---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: January 04, 2009 10:49PM

The first time I picked up a harmonica, I could bend notes...I thought. I always used a lot of force and I could not bend draw 1 and draw 4 down the full 1/2 step. I was about 25 or 30 cents sharp at best on those notes with a C harp. I was articulating "oh" while bending.

Just very recently I read something that solved my problem. Wanna know what I read? Send me $10.
grinning smiley
OK, I'll tell ya fer nuthin'.

While drawing the 4 hole (Just a normal draw; no extra force needed), slowly start articulating the word "you." AHA!! It bent right right on down there when you got to that "sweet spot", didn't it!? Practice and learn right where that sweet spot is. Each hole will have it's own sweet spot.

Here's a nice, slow and...Here's a nice, slow song with plenty of half-step bends (-3') and full-step bends (-2" and -3"winking smiley. We all know the melody. Give it a try. It'll be great for practicing bends.

Post Edited (2009-01-04 17:54:04)

Posted by: GeorgeD (---.bremick.com.au)
Date: January 05, 2009 12:54AM

Tks for the question Askek and the answer Gene, was just struggling over this yesterday.

george

Posted by: Askek (---.atm4-0-1301194.0x50a296ba.sdbnxx3.customer.tele.dk)
Date: January 05, 2009 04:38PM

perfect! you made my day!
i'dd kinda already gussed that the answer would be something like "practice", but at least now i know what to practice! thank you. i had it all wrong before.

Posted by: gene (---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: January 05, 2009 07:32PM

I forgot to mention: Drop your jaw, too. Especially on the lower holes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.