Lessons :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
Have a tip that you want to share? Put it here. 
Tip for Practicing Bending to the Right Pitch
Posted by: gene (---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: May 20, 2008 09:52AM

I was practicing my bends and wondering why my lower bends on the draw 2 and draw 3 sounded so bad. I pulled out a guitar tuner to check my pitch and found out that I'd been bending my half-step bends too far, so when I tried to go down further, it sounded bad because I was trying to take the reed down too far. I found out that I WAS reaching that Ab (on the C harp).
I just THOUGHT I wasn't.

That delighted me because I found out I was trying to make the deeper bends harder than they are! So, I practiced for a while with the guitar tuner. That was tedious, though, because the tuner is somewhat eratic, and watching the needle for guidance can cause some exasparation. After all, by looking at that needle, you can't really tell how close you are to getting it right. Sure, the needle may be off, so you know you're off...but how close to pitch does that SOUND? Learning by the tuner just doesn't feel natural.

Then a light came on in my head! (I know it did 'cuz I saw the light shining out my ears. grinning smiley ) I plugged in that cheap Radio Shack keyboard that's been around since my kids were kids. Voila! Instant, natural feedback (not the audio kind)!

So...I suggest playing keys on a keyboard while drawing, bending, bending more. You'll know instantly where your pitch stands and be able to match the keyboard as you listen.

Post Edited (2008-05-20 06:05:35)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tip for Practicing Bending to the Right Pitch
Posted by: mmolino54 (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 21, 2008 11:30PM

gene,
that's a great idea.

you can also use the Bendometer software--it shows you onscreen what pitch you're hitting. all you need is an internet connection and a computer with some type of built-in speaker.
-marc

Date: May 22, 2008 02:34AM

I don't know if the Bendometer sounds a pitch while you try to match it. If not, it would be the same as using a tuner. (You said "speaker." Did you mean "mic?"

Posted by: mmolino54 (---.gao.gov)
Date: May 22, 2008 02:01PM

No, you're right--it does NOT sounds a pitch. It only shows you how close you're coming to a set pitch. And I did mean "mic" and not "speaker."

I like using my son's cheap keyboard, too. Playing scales helps a lot as well, as you can hear where the note is supposed to fit in.
-Marc

Date: May 23, 2008 06:46AM

mmolino54 wrote:

"Playing scales helps a lot as well, as you can hear where the note is supposed to fit in."

Yep. Lately, I've been playing mini scales on the draw 2 only, and on the draw 3 only. The keyboard helps me to "fine tune" my bends, though.

Posted by: SlowHarp (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: November 21, 2008 08:47PM

GAAAH!!! ive been doing the EXACT SAME THING with my guitar tuner. at times it wasnt so bad, but at others i just wanted to through it across the room. ill try that bendometer software and maybe my mom's iPhone keyboard app (omg it's so freakin incredible)

Posted by: Askek (---.atm4-0-1301194.0x50a296ba.sdbnxx3.customer.tele.dk)
Date: January 06, 2009 06:27PM

i'm on the guitartuner aswell. havn't got a piano or anything alike. i've got a guitar, but not a neckrag for the harmonica, so i'm stuck on the tuner..

Date: January 06, 2009 07:47PM

Just some cheap toy keyboard is all you really need for this.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.