Reviews :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
In here you will find reviews of harmonicas and harmonica related products done by our members. 
Suzuki SCT-128
Posted by: FroggyGM (---.3-1.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: February 20, 2011 07:50PM

I ordered and received my Suzuki SCT-128 on New-Years' Eve, Dec 31st 2010, so I've only had it for less than 2 months. It's my Very First Chromatic so I have a Lot to learn in playing this thing. It also means that I myself can't really compare this instrument with Other chromatics, as I have been playing double-reed Tremolo's Only.

First off the Suzuki SCT-128 comes in a Beautiful Tooled Leather Holster, which has the same decorative design as the top cover-plate on the instrument; A Great idea I think, very refreshing and of course Very different from Any other harmonica case or box on the market!!
The instrument is in my opinion the Most Beautiful Harmonica I have Ever seen; the cover plates are Crome-plated brass, and the mouthpiece is Gold-Plated brass. The Look of the instrument is Fantastic, the body is big and chunky but when You start playing it, it feels surprisingly easy to handle.
The sound is what You can expect from a Tremolo-Tuned harmonica; the tremolo sound is Unmistakeable and a Very Pleasant Suprise in the nicest possible way. And even despite the Plastic Comb, the sound is also nice, very Warm and "wet" enough for my liking, just very nice considering I've had Hohner Echo-harps before which have Wooden combs, as far as I'm concerned these Echo-Harps are the World-Standard for a Great Tremolo sound.
The covers are chrome-plated and Look Stunningly beautiful, but it also means that the instrument will show every lip- and fingerprint as soon as You play it, so in the beginning You usually find Yourself keeping a cleaning cloth to hand at all times. The instrument is Very responsive, and hardly requires any more air than a standard tremolo harmonica; It plays Very easily and sounds Beautiful, it's exactly what You can expect for a professional harmonica as expensive as this one is.
The First time You take it apart (out of curiosity of course but You'll tell yourself it's for Maintenance as an excuse...), You have to be VERY Careful; DON't Loose Any Parts and make sure You take it apart on a Safe Tray of some sort!!! It's an easy mistake to loose some of the miniature parts. Especially the two Miniature transparent Rubber rings around the mouthpiece screws; these are Very important to keep the slider working.
So... it's fiddly to take apart and put back together, especially the Mouthpiece assembly; Also watch out that you Don't screw the Mouthpiece too tight or the slider will move less smooth and could even get stuck.
What I have also found is that not only the mouthpiece but also the Cover-Plates are slightly Bent, just to give a more air-tight fit onto the Reedplates. However... although the Top cover-plate fits Brilliantly, I found that the Bottom cover-plate turns out to be also bent horizontally a bit; When You fit the middle against the mouthpiece, both far ends don't quite reach the mouthpiece, causing a tiny groove through wich You loose a bit of air whilst playing. And due to this, when You screw the covers too tight, the rear edge of the bottom cover-plate that rests on the beck edge of the reed-plate tends to "fall off the edge" and slide over the back of the instrument.
It's just something to keep in the back of Your mind but it doesn't affect the Sheer quality and the Fantastic Feeling of this instrument in the Least.

Short summary;
Pro's:
Beautiful Instrument to Hold and play,
Sounds fantastic over the Whole range,
Easy to play,
it feels Top-Quality.

Con's:
Fiddly to take apart and reassemble,
the Bottom Cover-Plate seems not to fit as snug as it should.

Overall impression:
VERY Impressive; It Feels, Plays and Sounds absolutely Fantastic. Also the Leather Tooled Holster is of a Very impressive quality, and a Great idea to keep Your harmonica. A Fantastic Quality instrument, and even a less great fitting bottom cover is hardly having any impact on this instrument as a whole; Great Harmonica All Together, I would Definitely recommend it to Anyone.
Tip if You want to buy one: Unless You have Way Too much Money that You don't know what else to do with, DON'T buy this harmonica in the UK as You will pay Far more then necessary.
I bought mine at Suzuki in Denmark, only 3 days delivery-time is Very acceptable I should think. If You live in Europe like me, I would recommend this Website where I bought mine:

[www.suzuki-harmonicas.com]

I hope this information helps Those of You who consider buying this Beautiful piece of Art.
Hilvert, United Kingdom / England

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Suzuki SCT-128
Posted by: FroggyGM (---.3-1.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: June 24, 2011 09:22PM

I complained here about the bottom cover-plate here, but guess what....
I have passed my comments to Suzuki, and sent some pictures of the cover-plates.
I have highlighted the problem to Suzuki Europe where I bought the harmonica, and.... I have been given a New set of cover-plates for free, and these new ones fit like a Glove, problem solved!!!
Excellent Service me thinks, I just thought I'd better add this to this review.
Rgds,
Hilvert, England

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.