Reviews :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
In here you will find reviews of harmonicas and harmonica related products done by our members. 
Hohner Echo Harp 57/120 C/G
Posted by: FroggyGM (---.3-1.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: October 17, 2010 01:17PM

Dear All out there,
I'm not a Professional player and just play my harmonica for fun.
My Harmonica is a Hohner Echo Harp 57/120 in C/G and to be honest, I am just totally Mad about this harmonica;

The Unique vintage Sound, very much helped by it's traditional Wooden comb, is a True Pleasure to listen to and a Sheer Pleasure to play.
This is a double-row Tremolo Harmonica with thus each note having two reeds, one reed on the upper row and another on the lower row, which You have to blow or draw at the same time. In the middle range of the instrument the two rows are "conneted" by small holes in the comb between upper and lower notes.
The sound is again just Totally Unique and my personal Favourite of All harmonicas. I have now ordered a Suzuki SCT-128 Tremolo Chromatic just to overcome the down-side of this instrument, being that it's a diatonic and doesn't allow bending, but still I will treasure this instrument forever, just like I have done so far for the last 30 years.
Playing is Very easy and the reeds are very responsive, and it doesn't require a Lot of Extra lung-power to play.
Because of the lay-out of the reed-plates (blow-draw-blow-draw etcetera all over the instrument), the tones seem to be sort of "out of Sync" in the higher range, just because of course an Octave has 3 blows and 4 draws...
This takes a bit of getting used to, but it doesn't have any effect whatsoever on my Love for this instrument.
Should You decide to by a Diatonic Tremolo Harmonica, even though there are others on the market with a slightly better build-quality (think of a Resin / plastic / metal Comb that lasts longer and is probably less sensitive to moist and would last longer maybe...), I believe this is simply the Best Sound You can get for Your money.

Latest Update on this Post;
I have now bought a Suzuki SCT-128 Tremolo Chromatic, and the Hohner Echo-Harp 57/120 that I described here is now in the Lovely Little hands and mouth of my Granddaughter, it was a Great Pleasure to see her eyes lit-up when I gave her this instrument and I REALLY Hope she will like playing this instrument for Many Years to come. She is now 9 years old and is very musical so... fingers crossed!! It's in Goods Hands and still in the Family!!!

Good Luck and Loads of Joy with Your Play everyone,
Hilvert

Post Edited (2011-02-20 15:33:12)

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.