Reviews :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
In here you will find reviews of harmonicas and harmonica related products done by our members. 
Suzuki "Manji" M20/10 Hole Diatonic
Posted by: grayharp (---.jetstream.xtra.co.nz)
Date: December 29, 2009 08:14AM

Hi
Does anyone know anything about this harp or has anyone tried it?
Apparently it has a unique plasticised/wood comb with the benefit of plastic and the bluesy sound of wood.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Suzuki "Manji" M20/10 Hole Diatonic
Posted by: gene (---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 29, 2009 11:02PM

Here's some discussion about the Manji.

Comb material has nothing to do with tone. The reeds are so small. They do not have enough mass to affect the comb material.

Post Edited (2009-12-29 18:03:47)

Posted by: gatman (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: December 30, 2009 04:32AM

As usual, Gene is the go to guy for all questions harmonica.

Posted by: gene (---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 30, 2009 05:00AM

I wish I were the Harp Hero you seem to think I am, Jeff.

Date: December 30, 2009 08:43AM

Hey thanks Gene for the links.
It certainly "sounds" like it could be a good harp. As far as the comb goes I don't know what the difference would or should be, and it appears that most of the guys on that forum couldn't tell the diff either, but I do understand that the mass involved is miniscule and wouldn't matter.
With regard to the price variations they were discussing, the best price I could find was here: [www.musicianswebstore.com]
Once converted it still comes to NZ$60.00
The biggest problem with living at the other end of the world is having access to decent products at a reasonable price due to our $ rate and the freight.
Once again Thanks for the direction and advice.
Cheers

Date: December 30, 2009 03:41PM

I was surprised the the price was pretty much the same as a Promaster.

Date: January 01, 2010 10:30AM

Gene ....found these two sites on Manji M20
[www.youtube.com]
and
[www.youtube.com]
Very interesting for an understanding of the product
Cheers

Posted by: ricanefan (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 02, 2010 10:14AM

Very good quality harmonica. Similar not only in price to the ProMaster, but in quality and sound. Has the look/feel of the Hohner Marine Band Deluxe.

Advanced quality harmonica and very playable right out of the box, including bends and overblows.

The one oddity I find is the placement of the cover-plate screws - only one at each end, but not centered. Makes me want to drill matching holes and add a second set of screws!

If you're looking to spend that amount of money on a harp, you can't go wrong with either the Manji or the ProMaster. And if you can spend that much money on a harmonica, I personally recommend it - the step up in quality (from Marine Band/MS/Special 20/BluesMaster) is much greater than the price differential would indicate...

Date: January 02, 2010 09:15PM

Thanks for the confirmation of my own thinking(I discovered I CAN think sometimes!!!!) that those two harps should be good.
I have ordered the Promaster in C and the Manji in G. I know they are more expensive than some others but I don't want to be continuously buying upgrades. That's what I say now anyway!!! smiling smiley
Looking forward to trying them.
Cheers

Posted by: WaltP (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 07, 2010 10:06PM

[www.harmonicasessions.com]

This is an interesting dissection of the Manji and a gateway to a lot of other harp related stuff.

Date: January 16, 2010 01:48AM

The more I read about this harp, the better it sounds and the more I want to try one.

Date: January 16, 2010 08:09AM

Well....received my two new harps this week and I've gotta say VERY impressed with them.
I can't decide which is the better...I haven't been playing long enough to be a good judge but I can definitely bend easier than before and the sound of both the Promaster "C" and the Manji "G" are WAY better than the old cheapies that I've been learning on.
I would like to thank all of your input into my research and decision to get the above.
Cheers

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.