Reviews :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
In here you will find reviews of harmonicas and harmonica related products done by our members. 
New harmonica Reviews
Posted by: mattsihler (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 20, 2009 03:25AM

I just got a few new harps.

I got my first 2 Seydels (I'm a big Lee Oskar fan, especially the alternate tunings); I figured i give a Seydel a try- a Low Low F and a Melody King (not the aluminum combs- just plastic)- they are awesome! I love the LLF it is so deep and soulfull- I took it on a walk in the park the other day. I Also like the MK- it's much easier to play than Melody Makers. I only miss them not having the numbers on the holes (amateur) and i noticesd the key and tuning they are labeled in is on a sticker which could probably get torn off pretty easily, aside from the fact it is on the side of the harp and nowhere else, so if you got it in a case with your other harps, it has to be seperate from the rest in it's little leather sheath (which is a nice touch, along with the nice cloth each one comes with to wipe it down).

I also got 2 Hohners- a Highlander (the double sided tremolo tuned for bagpipe tunes), it's a heck of a lot of fun to play and has a really nice sound. I like it much better than my Comet- although it really rips up my lips- it's my first wood comb, so I'm still adjusting...
Then I got a 280/64 Chrominica. It's real fun to play- a lot easier than I thought it would be, a heck of a lot easier. Although it has a slight buzzing sound in the 4 blow, which annoys me and I'm hoping will go away.

All in all, I really love all the new harps. The Seydels really impressed me. They seem really well built. They feel real solid in my hands, like the plates wouldn't bend if i tried to press on them, real airtight, amazing bedability and what i believe to be my first over blows- I have to check them with my tuner. They're more expensive than the Lee Oskars, and I don't know if you can but new reedplates for them when they go...but it's worth the extra money to have a few lying around...

Matt

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New harmonica Reviews
Posted by: Justice (---.198.omne.uk.net)
Date: April 20, 2009 10:13AM

yeah matt the low low f is good, never had amelody king, but im sure it just as good, word of warning on the LLF is that they go out of tune and the reeds snap quicker that normal harps because of the extra weight. My favourite tuning is the low G its fantastic.

ive had a highlander but had to throw it away cos i fell asleep with it in the bath and left it to stew of an hour, but it sounded great, and if you like bagpipe music like myself then it made it much easier to play.

nice review!

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.