Reviews :  Harptabs.com The fastest message board... ever.
In here you will find reviews of harmonicas and harmonica related products done by our members. 
promaster
Posted by: Justice (---.216.wightcablenorth.net)
Date: December 10, 2008 09:26PM

Suzukis bluemaster impressed me so much i got there more expensive pro master a few months later, which cost 30 pounds (10 more than the bluesmaster) which has a metal comb.

It fells very good to hold, weighty and firmly built, for some reason making me confident in playing it, its looks great and is very smooth on the lips, but it really impresses when you play it. The reeds are the same bronze one you have on the blues master but the metal comb seems to resonate the sound giving the pro master a bright and punchy sound. Its great and easy to play bends, overblows again arent perfect but better than the bluesmaster.

Overall the promaster is every bit as good as the bluemaster but the heavy feel and bright tone make it that bit better and in my, opinion worth the 50% extra cost.

it has to be 10/10

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: promaster
Posted by: gene (---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 10, 2008 10:25PM

I received a cheap harmonica for Christmas a few years ago. I knew I needed a better harp, so I bought a Promaster. It wasn't long before I had a full set of them. I don't know how they compare to other "real" harps. All I know is that I like them.

For curosity's sake I ordered a Golden Melody. They shipped it yesterday, so I can't comment on it, yet.

I have some valved Promasters. I liked them, at first, but after having them a while I realized that there aren't really that many new notes with the valves, and the valves have a tendancy to buzz. I'll probably remove the valves, eventually.

Posted by: Justice (---.216.wightcablenorth.net)
Date: December 10, 2008 10:44PM

i have a valved too and i would not recommend it i had the same problem and i took the valve off ages ago, and a golden melody is the best hohner i have played, if you buy a hohner buy a golden melody. its great for customising.

Posted by: zupmah (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: April 15, 2009 10:06PM

thanks for the review; even though its from awhile ago. i have been looking for a quality harp that has some real presence in the hand(slightly heavy). i setteled on Suzuki because ive been told they are very airtight.

Posted by: janx (---.nott.cable.ntl.com)
Date: April 25, 2009 08:21PM

Just got a suzuki promaster it has a real quality look about it and feels very comfotable to play.

It is smaller but heavier than the other two makes I have which are a Golden melody and a Honer special 20.

I would say for me the SP 20 is my workhorse, the Golden melody is like my best buddy and the promaster is the one I would take out on a posh date.

Posted by: ricanefan (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: August 08, 2009 01:50AM

For the time being, me and my Pro-master are exclusive...

Forum readers may recall that recently I have had five harmonicas stolen. Truthfully, I still didn't need any more (still have around 20 that I might pull out to play at any time), but I thought I'd start looking at what's out there and how much they cost these days...I'm pretty cheap, so they had to be good deals, but I was also interested in something different, maybe even a higher grade...

This past Monday I browsed and made note of some. There was the Pro-master, the Marine Band Deluxe, and my usual stand-bys, Hohner's Blues Harp and Marine Band. I finally decided the Pm was too good a deal to wait, especially with it having an aluminum comb and being a Suzuki - both new to me...

Right out of the box it feels good and solid. Reedplates protrude ever so slightly, but less than what I usually use, and edges are rounded. Comb feels good against the tongue. Pleased so far...

The reeds have me looking at more Suzukis. Every single reed played beautifully from the get-go - none are tight, none are airy. And they were begging me to bend them, something I don't do with a new harp. I gave in, and they bend easily, with strong, true notes.

My immediate impression? Fantastic harp. The only other one I've played since buying this was my Blues Harp in A, to compare the sound. (Frequent readers may also recall that I have several times referred to the BH in A as my favorite, the one I carry with me everywhere.)

I'll try to be patient. I'd like to develop an impression on its durability, but if my impression holds, I'll be buying a couple more Pro-masters in different keys, and maybe a couple different Suzukis in A. For research, of course!

Posted by: EarthDogHarpin (---.dsl.tulsok.swbell.net)
Date: August 09, 2009 12:35AM

Would y'all do me a favor, please? Would y'all look at your Promaster(s) with it back lit and let me know if you see light above and/or below any of the holes?

The Suzuki Promaster was the very first harp I ever got. It is truly a thing of beauty, both for the eyes, and for the hand. However, when I held mine up to a back light, there is light visible both above and below holes 1 and 2, and above and below holes 9 and 10. It plays well as long as one does not try to bend notes. or try either hole 1, 2, 9, or 10, and 8 and 3 are "iffy". For a long time I thought it was me (since it's usually the Newbie that's at fault). But when I held up Hubby's Lee Oskar, there was no light visible anywhere. And when I tried, his LO played much better than my eye-candy hand-candy Promaster.

Since then we've purchased several Seydels, as well as several Suzuki FolkMasters. There's no back light visible above or below any of the holes on any of them, either.

If y'all look, and report no light visible, then I'm gonna accept the fact that I got a lemon Promaster. I've been told that it's a fixable problem. Just put in some windsaver material, or cover the leaky holes with tape, or maybe try putting some wax in the holes, but.... I dunno. Think I'll just leave it as it..... As an example of what one doesn't want....

Date: August 09, 2009 01:34AM

I don't have any light shining through.

Maybe there are some loose screws, or you can make a gasket:
Buy some Micropore medical tape. Take the reed plates off and stick the tape to the combs. Use a sharp razor to cut away the tape that covers the spaces in the comb. Put the harp back together.

Posted by: ricanefan (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: August 09, 2009 08:11AM

I'm glad I didn't read EDHs comments before buying...I might have thought about it longer and missed out. Mine is good and tight.

Tightening the end screws didn't do it, Deb?

Posted by: mrLof (---.ip.telfort.nl)
Date: April 30, 2010 09:03AM

Currently I have some Lee Oskar harps, but I'm thinking of buying a Suzuki.
I was just wondering: is a Suzuki promaster better than a Lee Oskar?
and what are the main differences?

Hope you find some time to do a short comparison for me winking smiley

Date: April 30, 2010 09:42PM

Here's a great post by Justice comparing some harps.

Posted by: mrLof (---.ip.telfort.nl)
Date: May 01, 2010 12:57PM

It sure is a great review!
thanks!

Posted by: pjd777 (78.147.166.---)
Date: June 08, 2010 01:27AM

the Promaster lives up to its name its a great harp so much so I
have them from A to G great value for your money spend a little
xtra and it pays off.

Posted by: Werkis2 (95.68.68.---)
Date: December 29, 2010 02:32PM

How about Seydel 1847 ? it has a stainless steel reeds wich soudn better and it costs about 75 pounds do someone here own one ?

i have now - Manji, Pro, Pro Valved, hammond, Golden M, Lee Oskars, Harpmaster .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.